Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing half the roof

Hi everyone,

I have a quirky situation. I had the back half of my roof replaced with 3 tab shingles a few months ago to match the front. The way my house sits, you cannot see the back half of the roof from the front. So you cannot tell the front roof is 15 years older than the back.

I want to replace the front half with architectural shingles of similar color. Everyone on my street has architectural shingles now because they all have new roofs.

Would it be a bad idea to have architectural shingles in the front and 3 tab shingles in the back? The roofer said he could install new architecutral shingles over the new 3 tab shingles. But he said since you cannot see the back at all just replacing the front would be okay. I'm just worried this may effect resale but I'm not sure many people would notice. Thanks for your advice!

Manningmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Replacing half the roof

I would be concerned about resale value as well.

If I were a potential home buyer, I would very suspect of the rest of the home and how funds were allocated there as well.

I would also not do a shingle over if it were my home. I do not care for that application but it is deemed acceptable by the shingle manufacturers and per code in most cases.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #3

Replacing half the roof

So you would recommend I just replace the front with the same 3 tab shingles. I'm wondering if that would effect resale more.
Manningmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
Busy DIYer

Replacing half the roof

If it were me, I would have same shingles all over. I would go with at least what the neighbors have.
picflight is offline   Reply With Quote