Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing cedar shingle roofs. Need help!

We recently had some bad storms go through our area (VA). We had severe winds, hail, trees down, etc.. We have a barn, garage, and barn, which all have cedar shake shingle roofs. The roofs are about 15 y.o.. The barn had a large white oak go through the top of it, and all three suffered hail and wind damage. The insurance company is only paying to repair the damage. Every contractor that has come out to give an estimate, has said that the roofs are within just a few years, if that, of needing replaced. So, I have decided to go on and replace the roofs. The next thing, is that I have received bids for all different roofs. I've decided to get away from cedar shingles, due to cost and maintenance. I have quotes for GAF, CT, IKO, TAMKO, cedar, and metal. Because I've previously have had cedar, I was looking at CT Solaris, which reflects the solar rays, and is cooler. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Am I heading in the right direction??

Last edited by DMilby; 09-27-2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: to shorten
DMilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

The SRI (Solar Reflectance Index) numbers are great on the Certainteed solar reflective products, but they come at a cost premium.

Whether or not they would serve any benefit or should even be worth the expense depends on your attic and roof style.

Can you post some pictures or tell us more about the home in general?

Have you looked at any of the metal products that look like shakes? You home is going to loose a decent bit of it aesthetic appeal (what that is worth depends on the set of eyes looking at it) when you got to asphalt.

While metal is a premium over asphalt, it is worth it to quite a few customers.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #3

Replacing cedar shingle roofs.  Need help!-2012-09-28-13.42.43.jpg

Replacing cedar shingle roofs.  Need help!-2012-09-28-13.41.56.jpg

Replacing cedar shingle roofs.  Need help!-2012-09-28-13.41.23.jpg

I am including pictures of the house, garage, and barn. The house was built in 1978, the barn shortly thereafter, we purchased the property in 1986. The garage and all 3 cedar shake roofs were put on in 1997. All three structures all stained cedar siding. They were also damaged by the hail, (the pic of the garage shows one side that was), and they are all going to be power washed and restained. They are overdue.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
Roofing Contractor

I would make the argument with the insurance adjuster or inside adjuster that due to the age and overall condidition of the cedar shake roof a repair is not possible and a full replacement is the only option. Worked several claims for insureds were they are first offered a repair or half a roof only and they end up getting a whole roof.

Of course with cedar shakes being fairly expensive insurance companies will try to repair before replace.

Last time I spoke with my CT rep about the Solaris brand was told the only way to purchase was by the semi load or 160 some squares... They are also very expensive!

If you want to put on one last roof just go standing seam. Of course hail will damage it but it's rare for hail to damage it so it's water shedding capabilities are effected.

Good Luck!
dougger222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #5

I am still in discussion with the insurance company on the roofs, as well as other things. Hopefully, we can get enough to help cover putting on vew roofs, and it will be the last roof that I put on. Given the style of the house and other buildings, what's your thoughts on how CT Solaris shingle would look?
Old 10-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #6
Exterior Construction

I am not sure it would really fit the look of the home.

That is just my opinion but I would hate to see asphalt on that roof where shake looks so at home.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #7

What would you suggest? Replacing it with Cedar Shake?? Cedar shake is much more expensive, and requires a lot more maintenance. I agree with the aesthetics (eye appeal), but it doesn't really help the resale value. And, I am probably looking at putting this property on the market in the next 2-3 years.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
Exterior Construction

Steel shakes.

Decra makes a nice Shake XD.