Replacing Below Ridge Roof Vent Damaged By Wind - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Replacing below ridge roof vent damaged by wind

I have to have a sheet metal below ridge vent replaced due to wind damage. I may do it myself but will probably hire a roofer if I can find one I trust.

It is a concrete tile roof in the Mediterranen style. A roofer that came out and covered things with an emergency tarp for $350 has given me an estimate for an additional $1200 to do the repairs. Two items he proposes concern me.

1. He wants to R&R the felt up to and under the ridge cap. I do not believe he knows if it has been damaged or distrubed by the wind.

2. Before replacing the felt all "protruding nails will be pounded down". Somewhere I believe I heard that this could cause a problem.

I asked the insurance estimator and he not only thought that they should not be pounded down, but unless the existing felt is badly damaged it should be left in place and a layer of felt should be laid over the existing felt. This is the original roof and there is only the one layer now present. I notice the actual estimate allows nothing for felt.

Some pictures of the damaged area are found at https://picasaweb.google.com/101682836359758483878/January262012?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCPHc3oy1ucG NIA&feat=directlink

Do you guys have any suggestions? Does it sound like the roofer knows what he is doing or is he just inflating his bill? Thanks.

Advertisement

Klawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
Shut in w/o Home

OK - Tile roofs are more dependent on the underlayment than other roofs. I never do any tile repairs without making sure the underlayment is in good shape. If it were ice and water shield rather than felt, I might not replace it. Felt, yes. There will be holes left in it from the original install.

As far as the pulling or pounding nails, he's given you too much information. If I were to remove the underlayment, I'd pull the nails to make removal easier. If I were leaving the underlayment, I'd pound the nails so no nail holes were in the underlayment. Since it's a repair, some nails should be pounded, some pulled.

Advertisement

seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seeyou For This Useful Post:
Klawman (02-01-2012), Roofmaster417 (02-01-2012)
Old 02-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #3

Thanks seeyou. I might have added that I am in Southern California where we never see ice or snow and very little rain.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
Shut in w/o Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klawman View Post
Thanks seeyou. I might have added that I am in Southern California where we never see ice or snow and very little rain.
You don't hardly even need a roof then.....
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to seeyou For This Useful Post:
Roofmaster417 (02-01-2012)
Old 02-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post
You don't hardly even need a roof then.....
The roofs help to keep the loonies out of the pharmaceuticals
Old 02-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #6
RFN-4A-LVN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klawman View Post
The roofs help to keep the loonies out of the pharmaceuticals
Hahahahaha.,Nice

You could always leave it alone and keep the tarp handy.

Advertisement

Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote