Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2010, 11:31 PM   #1

Share |

replacing ashphalt with cedar shingles - small roof

I am in the process of replacing a small roof ...sort of a lip over first floor..about 2 1/2 deep with cedar shingles...my contractor says he has done it before but i have doubts....i researched online ...got some good idea but am still confused.

most likely the current sheathing is plywood...does he need to put felt underneath...if yes , does felt need to cover entire area or does he need to leave some gaps for ventilation..this got me confused. also, i learnt that the first row should be double..is that true?

thanks

christy

christy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:41 PM   #2

that is 2 1/2 ft

Old 11-11-2010, 01:39 AM   #3

http://www.cedarbureau.org/ all the info you need to know...and alot more
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #4

i looked at it already..it got me confused. obviously not too bright!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk View Post
http://www.cedarbureau.org/ all the info you need to know...and alot more
Old 11-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

If that site is confusing, you may want to purchase a book on roofing. The more pictures the better. I just installed about 120 square feet of cedar siding, this is a material that is a bit tricky to work with, since it can break easily, it can curl, and it is not dimensionally identical from piece to piece. Best to get a book that discusses all the ins and outs before you start work. If you are just trying to get up to speed so you can discuss the project with your contractor, a book would be good for that too.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #6

the reason i got confused is because i dont know the technical lingo...u are right i would need a book with a lot of pics.

folks on this board have been very helpful...so i am hoping someone will come up with the right answer.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by christy123 View Post
I am in the process of replacing a small roof ...sort of a lip over first floor..about 2 1/2 deep with cedar shingles...my contractor says he has done it before but i have doubts....i researched online ...got some good idea but am still confused.

most likely the current sheathing is plywood...does he need to put felt underneath...if yes , does felt need to cover entire area or does he need to leave some gaps for ventilation..this got me confused. also, i learnt that the first row should be double..is that true?

thanks

christy
The first row should be doubled,but can be tripled.Felt one course at eaves only.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:34 PM   #8

This is for shingles and not shakes.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #9

we are using shingles not shakes actually.. would it cause any problem if we completely cover the surface with felt?
Old 11-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by christy123 View Post
we are using shingles not shakes actually.. would it cause any problem if we completely cover the surface with felt?
No, not significantly if I understand the structure they are being applied to correctly from your description.

Is this an approximate 2 foot 6 inch ribbon decorative roof extending behond the exterior wall of the home?

If so, then ventilation will not be a concern.

But, the flashing detail where the sheet metal roof to wall angled apron metal goes would be.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:05 PM   #11

Ed...you are correct...it is the decorative roof and you described it with 100% accuracy.

There is metal flashing already there...are you asking iif this flashing is present or not?

thanks
Old 11-13-2010, 09:20 PM   #12

i found the answer in the video that is posted on cedarbereau site. they suggest that felt should be put under non-exposed part of the shingle only. As Ed pointed out, this roof is decorative ..so we may not have to follow these guidelines
Old 11-15-2010, 07:30 PM   #13

The Cedar Bureau site is a good one and I think you have the answers you need.

The only thing I commented about as far as the roof to wall metal apron flashing goes, was to ensure that there was one in place and that it is re-usable or will be attended to if it needs to be replaced.

It is not critical as far as interior leakage goes, but you wouldn't want the overhang to get corrupted with moisture infiltration from an ongoing, albeit, slow and continual wall leak.

Good Luck,

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote