Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2008, 11:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,000

Replacement of individual shakes

I need to replace some cracked and curled shakes in different places on my roof. I also need to replace both levels of starter course in a couple places...Moss growing on them (lack of maintenance by previous homeowner) has a few of them waterlogged and ruined.

I'm very handy, but I'm no roofer. I have a good understanding of how it is all put together, but am not sure how to make repairs.

I don't know how to replace a shake one at a time without damaging the felt that is below it, and presumably layered above it as well. I don't know how to get the nail out of the way to insert a replacement shake, and I don't know where to nail the replacement shake since there will be an existing course above it in the way. Do you just nail in the exposure? I have skip sheathing...How can I ensure that I'm hitting it with a nail?

Can anyone direct me to any written or online resources?

I know, I need to hire a roofer. Gotta fix this on a budget until I can swing a total re-roof.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

try this link http://www.cedarbureau.org/images/pd...re.pdf--Cached

johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:52 PM   #3

sorry i messed up that link try this one http://www.cedarbureau.org/images/pd...re.pdf--Cached
Old 04-13-2008, 11:55 PM   #4

It keeps messing with my link,just google search cedar shake repairs
Old 04-14-2008, 10:48 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

You use a slate nail ripping bar. Flat long shaft with a larger head than the shaft. The bottom side of the head has a tapered sharp edge. Slide the entire bar past the nail and tap it sideways until it hits the nail. The tap on the 90* bend on the handle with downward thrusts to shear or pull the nail out. New shale slides right in and then you do have to face nail it.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:51 AM   #6

Just what Ed said.I was just trying to give you a visual reference. http://www.cedarbureau.org/images/pd...ev.pdf--Cached
Old 04-14-2008, 11:56 AM   #7

Oh well,I give up.It erases half of my link,anyone know why?
Old 04-14-2008, 01:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
You use a slate nail ripping bar. Flat long shaft with a larger head than the shaft. The bottom side of the head has a tapered sharp edge. Slide the entire bar past the nail and tap it sideways until it hits the nail. The tap on the 90* bend on the handle with downward thrusts to shear or pull the nail out. New shale slides right in and then you do have to face nail it.

Ed
Thanks Ed. I'm guessing the local roofing materials supplier will have this bar? Or do I need a blacksmith?

So where do you face nail the new shake? Do I nail it towards the upward side of the exposure with a nail long enough to get down to the skip sheathing or do you just secure it to the shake below. Assuming roofing nails aren't the ticket for cedar shakes...But I don't know.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #9

John K, thanks for your efforts. I'll look for that site.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:21 PM   #10

Found the site. Let's see if I can add the link.

http://www.cedarbureau.org/images/pd...rochurerev.pdf

Very good resource there. Now, is it as easy as it seems? Driving the nails in at 45 degrees at the butt end of the next course up seems easy enough, but I'd think that the nails would split the shake when you drive it the last 1/2" as described.

If anyone has done this and can give me an idea of whether it is as easy as it looks, let me know.

I'm also all worried about what prying the nail does to the felt paper. Are my concerns unfounded???

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2008, 05:32 PM   #11

Try one first,it is as easy as it sounds.Just don't pound too hard
Old 04-14-2008, 06:15 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,000

Don't worry at all about the felt paper.

Use 6 penny nails. Close to the butt end of the next successive course os prefered, but sometines you have to install a nail or two at the butt end so it lays down flat.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:17 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 75

You may have a problem tearing out the starter cousing as in a 2 ply shake installation there will be 6 nails though every shake & a 3 ply will have 8in the starter(it's not going to happen)If you want to get more life out of it install some metal shims. We never try to remove cedar shingles as every one has 6 nails throughout the whole roof.
Dale Chomechko (DC Roofing Inc)
We do remove individual shake on the main field but keep in mind the age of the roof as removing 1 may damage 2 more very easily on an old roof.If in doubt about the felt install a metal shim. We snip the sides of these slightly to create a thin curled sliver on each side of the shim pointing downward so the shim never slides out

Last edited by Dale Chomechko; 04-22-2008 at 11:39 PM. Reason: incomplete
Dale Chomechko is offline   Reply With Quote