Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2010, 09:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Replacement Facia - Use hardiboard or??

Hi guys there is a small portion of our facia that is completely rotted. What is a good thing to use for this. Something that does not take a lot of maintenance as this area is really hard to get to.
I've heard of hardiboard - as a maintenance free product, would this be a good idea? We would actually prefer something that can be purchased at Home Depot or Lowes as this is rather a small area.

Also, we are going to install a gutter that will drain back to the place where the roof connects and then connect it down to the lower gutter. Good idea? thanks!

Last edited by smoochas; 07-31-2010 at 09:48 AM.
smoochas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
KemoSabe

Rewards Points: 500

PVC trimboards would be my recommendation. Works very muck like wood, but won't decay. It's paintable as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacement Facia - Use hardiboard or??-044-1.jpg   Replacement Facia - Use hardiboard or??-046-1.jpg   Replacement Facia - Use hardiboard or??-030.jpg  

loneframer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:54 PM   #3

Hi Loneframer, is the PVC trimboard thru and thru PVC or is the inside part foam? Will I have any issues screwing a gutter to the PVC trim board?

Is that your house or a house you built? Really pretty, what kind of siding is on it and what windows are on it?

The exposed structure for the gable in this picture below, are those solid wood pieces or ?

Last edited by smoochas; 07-31-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Just be sure you Hardie is back-primed and held 1-1/2" --- 2" off the roofing material. The flashing behind should continue up.....

Might think about roof venting at the soffits, in both pictures.

Be safe, Gary
Old 07-31-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
KemoSabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochas View Post
Hi Loneframer, is the PVC trimboard thru and thru PVC or is the inside part foam? Will I have any issues screwing a gutter to the PVC trim board?

Is that your house or a house you built? Really pretty, what kind of siding is on it and what windows are on it?

The exposed structure for the gable in this picture below, are those solid wood pieces or ?
The siding is Royal and the windows are Andersen.
The truss in the gable is PVC over 6x6 treated lumber. Actually all the exterior trim on that building is PVC. The last pic is of a gable detail I did on my own house. It's cut out of a sheet of 1/2" PVC.

The material is solid all the way through and can be routed and machined easily. It will hold fasteners as well as cedar, or better.

Here are a few other projects done in PVC.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacement Facia - Use hardiboard or??-006.jpg   Replacement Facia - Use hardiboard or??-039.jpg   Replacement Facia - Use hardiboard or??-018-1.jpg  

Last edited by loneframer; 07-31-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:24 PM   #6

Loneframer is right about the pvc. Only thing about it is to make sure it is flashed properly. Your rotted wood showed the rot. Pvc will not show the rot if the rot begins behind it from poor flashing
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #7

@ Loneframer, wow, I had no idea the possibilities with PVC. The gable which is PVC over 6x6 treated lumber, after you enclosed the lumber did you glue the edge of it or just primed everything? I'm wondering how you are sure water is not getting into the gaps betweent where the pvc meets? Are all pvcs the same, like from HD or Lowes?

@ GBR in WA, about the venting, we would like to vent the roof. But we have no soffits. Any suggestions how to make it work?
Old 08-01-2010, 10:11 AM   #8
KemoSabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochas View Post
@ Loneframer, wow, I had no idea the possibilities with PVC. The gable which is PVC over 6x6 treated lumber, after you enclosed the lumber did you glue the edge of it or just primed everything? I'm wondering how you are sure water is not getting into the gaps betweent where the pvc meets? Are all pvcs the same, like from HD or Lowes?
All the mitered edges and beveled connections are glued with PVC cement. In addition, I gapped the PVC about 1/8" from the treated to allow some ventilation. Where the PVC meets the soffit, in all 5 locations, there is a small margin to allow air flow.

The bulk of PVC I have installed is Azek brand, but I've used Certainteed, Koma, Kleer, perma-Trim and X-board as well. I like Azek and Certainteed above the others.

I hear HD is stocking Azek now, but maybe just a rumor.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacement Facia - Use hardiboard or??-040-1.jpg   Replacement Facia - Use hardiboard or??-036-1.jpg   Replacement Facia - Use hardiboard or??-025-1.jpg  
Old 08-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

Smoochas, after you remove the fascia board, you will probably see the rafter ends right there. I would cut a 3" x 24-30" lot in the new soffit material, directly in front of the rafter bays. Stay away from the slopping intersecting roof though, to keep water and snow out.

You can always recognize plastic trim by its brilliant white color, it looks so ….. Plastic-like. You could paint it, but that defeats the no maintenance part. As mentioned, leave gaps for air circulation and caulk it well because the underlying wood would have to dry to the inside rather than the outside. A post that is completely wrapped with plastic has nowhere to dry to, molding and rotting until structural failure without much warning. Be sure to treat p.t. wood with a water-proofing chemical, if not already done.

Be safe, Gary

Be safe, Gary
Old 08-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #10
KemoSabe

Painting PVC does create a certain amount of maintenance, but it is much less of a concern than wood. PVC does not absorb moisture, so cracking, peeling and blistering is not an issue. If a good bonding primer and a 100% acrylic latex paint is used, you will get many years of maintenance free enjoyment.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacement Facia - Use hardiboard or??-044.jpg   Replacement Facia - Use hardiboard or??-014.jpg