Replace Sheathing Or Let Dry? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

replace sheathing or let dry?

There is a small leak in my roof at the skylight. There is a small section that is the width of the skylight (~16" long) and maybe 6" wide where the sheathing is wet and some of the "wafers" are peelign off the sheathing.

Obviuosly I wish this wouldn't have happened in the first place, but...If i seal the skylight so that the leak is stopped and the sheathign is allowed to dry, does that section of sheathing need to be replaced? Structurally it is such a small area and it is next to a skylight so does the sheathing need to be replaced in that area?

thanks, Dan

Advertisement

The Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,292

Should be able to dry to the interior of the attic pretty easily.

If it was just temporary, I wouldn't worry about sheathing rot.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

if i did need to replace this portion of sheathing, does anyone have a guess on a price from a contractor? of course it can vary a lot i'm just wondering if it will be 300 bucks or 1000 bucks?
The Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

Try running a dehumidifier in your attic in that area if possible.The dehumidifier will draw out the moisture.It also helps pull that moisture out of insulation and the top of the drywall and decking. (Attic)

I use a dehumidifier with alot of our storm damage.The insurance companies pay me to run it in the attics,basements,bedrooms etc. where leaking has occurred.

I would run the dehumidifier for about 12 hours depending on the leak.Afterwards I would treat the area with an anti-bac.,but you can just use 1 part bleach with 3 part water.

Just spray the affected areas with a mist that will coat the area not to the point of saturation.

If it is a very small area I would save my money on a repair.,buy a dehumidifier for about $125.They really come in handy.So $125 for the unit,$8 for a garden hose,,$2 for a spray bottle,$2 for bleach and a little effort and you saved some money and treated the areas.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 02-03-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote