Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2010, 01:28 PM   #1

Share |

Replace partial sheets of OSB?

Just tore off one 5-square section of my roof, and found numerous places where nail pops have caused a 6" circle of stained, and sometimes soft OSB.

Is it acceptable to replace OSB 1/2 a sheet at a time?

Also, around the perimeter the lack of drip edge has caused some problems right at the edge... again, I am wondering if it would be OK to replace 1/2 sheet cut lengthwise here.

echase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:27 PM   #2

I don't see any problem in it. Just measure from joist to joist for the repair area, make sure your ends land on the joists. As for the edge as long as there isnt a large overhang, I would try and get it on at least 2 joists, same as the other repairs and install a drip edge

What is the original decking made of? OSB, 1x10's? Remember to get the same thickness as the material your replacing.

Cmudr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:51 PM   #3

OK, got the same thickness of OSB, but it's not the same thickness. Looks like the old stuff has swelled. This sucks, really don't want to replace the whole darn deck!
echase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:52 AM   #4
Chaos Engineer

Where are you located??

I would replace it if it has nail pops. OSB has a bad habit of not staying uniform.
Big N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
Commercial Roofing

I hate OSB... Can you get a thicker sheet to compensate?
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
All trades carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by echase View Post
OK, got the same thickness of OSB, but it's not the same thickness. Looks like the old stuff has swelled. This sucks, really don't want to replace the whole darn deck!
Sometimes sheet materials are tricky. How much of a difference are the thicknesses? You may need 1/2" and you may have gotten 15/32". The lumber yard here sells 15/32" but the receipt will read 1/2". Measure your old OSB and make sure you get the correct thickness. If it is not too much of a difference it should be ok.

CrpntrFrk is offline   Reply With Quote