Replace Flash/valley - Price Is Right? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2011, 12:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

replace flash/valley - price is right?

i have a leak that occurs when there sustained downpours. It only happened once in last 2 years, but got ceiling replaced in same room so need to make sure it doesn;t happen again. It's a 1,200 sq ft house, so the valley is like 8-10 ft. It has some buckling going on, might try to get pic later.

Anyway, roofer came out(one vouched for by building inspector at city i work for) and priced replacing(gutting, checking/replacing paneling) at $750. He priced new roof at $3,900, but i just paid to get ceiling replaced and new bathroom, so can't afford that. Figure i fix valley and wait for next hail storm to get new roof. Anyway, is that a reasonable price?

The roof is like 20 years old, but not in terrible shape. He said they don't make my style shingle any more so would have to match a bit. Also said he would replace any damaged ones as part of deal.

Advertisement

gnostic19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

replace flash/valley - price is right?

Pricing is regional. It's hard to say what's fair without knowing all the details. How tall? How many layers there now? How steep? What type of accessories? What about protection, setup and cleanup? Permit? I couldn't even phatom a guess without knowing. Plus like I said pricing is regional so what I say is fair may be way low or way high for your region. Could I do a 12 square roof for $3,900? Sure if it were a 1 layer ranch.

Why would you fix the ceiling before fixing the roof? That's just putting the cart infront of the horse. It doesn't make sense to fix the symptom of the problem, the ceiling stain, before you fix the roof, the actual problem.

LOL waiting for the next hail storm. LOL this is where my help stops on this subject. Wish I read that sooner before I typed the above info. FWIW if your roof is 20 years old insurance is not likely to pay for a new roof, nor shold they. Good luck in life, you'll need it.

Advertisement

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.

Last edited by Grumpy; 04-19-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote