Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #1

Share |

Replace drip edge without re-roofing?

As in the title, I found significant termite damage to some fascia boards on a flat (or very low sloping) section of my roof. In order to remove the damaged boards, I must first remove the drip edge, which is under the roll out roofing that was used. I'm wondering if I can just peel the roofing back a minimal amount, do the work, and re-set the roofing afterwards.

FYI, this roof covers the walkway to my front door, and gets a fair amount of direct sun, but the existing roofing material looks to be in good shape.

hardlymick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
Household Handyman

Done this many times. Just be careful as to "rolling back" the shingles and/or felt/tar paper. One problem at times are the nails used to secure the drip edge into the roof decking. These can be difficult to remove at times but patience will win here.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
registered

Its a pain in the ass. Go slow with a small flat prybar. Gently try to get the shingles to release. When done grab some black roofers caulk. Re seal those shingles down.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #4

Got a picture?

A lot depends on if the roofing is stuck to the drip edge.
It would be easyer in most cases to pry out the bottom of the fashia and use a sawsall to cut off the nails and slide it out without having to mess with the roof.

Had the house tented and treated yet?
Old 04-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #5
Maryland

Termites in your fascia? They most likely ate their way to that point. Make sure you check below for additional damage.
Pittsville is offline   Reply With Quote