Replace Damages Shingle - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 184

Replace Damages Shingle

Now that it is summer and we (at least us in California) won't be having any rain for a while, I'm thinking that it is time to fix a roof issue that I noticed last winter.

I have a single shingle that needs to be replaced. The type of shingle is a Certainteed Presidential asphalt shingle, and luckily I have some spare shingles in my garage. For some reason, one of the shingles on the first course (right above the rain gutter) wore out and damaged faster than the others and it needs to be replaced. A lot of water gets funneled to this area, so maybe it just wore out faster? Who knows...

I've never replaced just one shingle before--is it as easy as just lifting the shingles above, popping the nails, and then sliding the new piece in? If so, how would I put new nails in without having them exposed on the tops of the other shingles? Do I just need to carefully hammer the new nails under the other shingles and hope that I don't rip the good shingles?

Any tips are welcomed!

Advertisement

loftezy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
Dallas Roofing Company

Rewards Points: 10

Replace Damages Shingle

The answer to your question; Do I just need to carefully hammer the new nails under the other shingles and hope that I don't rip the good shingles, is yes. I would wait for a warm day so that the shingles have a bit more of flexibility. You want to take out the nails from the above row shingle to properly fit in the new shingle. Make sure to take out the nails and not leave in decking or else it can make it difficult to slide in the new shingle. You will hit the nail as your sliding the new shingle into place.

Devin Mahdi

Advertisement

Last edited by kwikfishron; 08-20-2013 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Removed Link
Dallas-Roofing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 184

Replace Damages Shingle

That's kinda what I expected. Thanks for the tip about the existing nails, it probably saved me quite a bit of frustration!
loftezy is online now   Reply With Quote