Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2014, 06:38 AM   #1

Share |

Replace or Cover Masonite Siding

Hey all,
My 35 year old house that I moved into last month has masonite siding. It's ugly, was installed poorly and tearing up near the base due to wear and who knows what else. I'll get my bonus and a hefty tax return next year and I'm going vinyl or fiber cement (depends on final cost).

A couple people suggest that I should just cover the masonite instead of replacing it. I am open to this idea but an unfamiliar with siding. Is there any risk of having the masonite underneath the new vinyl?

bigbopper180 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:14 AM   #2

Masonite had a recall many many years ago from all the moisture issues.
I for sure would not leave it on.
It's just going to mold up behind the new siding and throw off all your window and door trim.
Once it's gone make sure to use house wrap before the siding.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbopper180 View Post
Hey all,
My 35 year old house that I moved into last month has masonite siding. It's ugly, was installed poorly and tearing up near the base due to wear and who knows what else. I'll get my bonus and a hefty tax return next year and I'm going vinyl or fiber cement (depends on final cost).

A couple people suggest that I should just cover the masonite instead of replacing it. I am open to this idea but an unfamiliar with siding. Is there any risk of having the masonite underneath the new vinyl?
Are you siding it yourself? I would probably tear the old stuff off. You're saving time and labor (if you don't want to take the old stuff off), but you're leaving yourself open to other issues.

Someone had the great idea to do what you are considering to my own house.....twice. Now I have 3 layers of siding and a huge mess to figure out.

Do it right the first time and take it off. It's not hard...just a bit of labor. No matter what material you side with you need a nice, flat, even surface.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

+1

Tear it off.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
Mod

As far as extra labor is concerned, It doesn't get much easier than tearing off lap Masonite.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
As far as extra labor is concerned, It doesn't get much easier than tearing off lap Masonite.
No kidding.

Just make sure to have a place to dump it or burn it. If it gets wet, it'll fall apart and be a huge mess.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #7

If you try to put vinyl over the top of Masonite, the Masonite cracks and falls between the outer layer and the inner layer, leaving you with a very uneven appearance, I have done both at the homeowners behest, those that wanted it left on were always disappointed. Often paid extra to remove the new and start over.

So TEAR IT OFF FIRST.

ED

de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
masonite