Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2008, 08:48 PM   #1

Share |

Repairing OLD Leak

Hello..

I am in need of some expert advice for a project where I have not previously worked.
I have a storage building next to my house(not shed). The building itself is built on a poured slab that I assume is as old as the house 50+ yrs.

The roof is a very slight angled wood roof with a tar/gravel layer exposed to the elements. I have discovered that I have a NASTY roof leak that has probably been happening for MANY yrs(I've only lived here about 3 yrs). The water has seeped through the roof in one spot and has actually rotted the boards laying across the 2x6 cross-beams holding up the roof. I know I HAVE to remove these boards and replace, but not sure how to go about removing the tar/gravel roof and then repatching properly to ensure no future leaks once I have replaced the affected boards.

Basically...what is the best method to remove the existing tar/gravel, wthout removing ENTIRE roof, and just patching the affected area?? Or should I try to remove the entire roof and use a different material to cover? Also...I know one problem is pooling of water on roof when it rains(although I know the roof has started to sagwhere it is pooling,which is the section where wood has rotted. Luckily the interior of the building is NOT finished, although there was insulation in the underside of the roof which I have removed from the affected area. I do plan to remove the rest of the insulation before starting ANY kind of work on the roof to ensure I don't have a similar problem anywhere else on the roof in an earlier stage of development. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by r1bloo; 02-23-2008 at 09:09 PM.
r1bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #2

Repairing OLD Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1bloo View Post
Hello..

I'm always of the mind that if I can do it myself, why pay someone else to do the same work and charge me 3x the amount it actually costs to do it...

but not sure how to go about removing the tar/gravel roof and then repatching properly to ensure no future leaks once I have replaced the affected boards.

Basically...what is the best method to remove the existing tar/gravel, wthout removing ENTIRE roof, and just patching the affected area??
Not to be extremely rude back to you, but you have NO CLUE regarding what costs are incurred in running a roofing business.

Why does a contractor charge what they charge?

Work Comp Insurance payed out at $40.00 to $65.00 per each one hundred dolars of wages.

Liability insurance to cover any non-injury related liability issues.

Advertising expenses, which account for an average of 10% of all gross sales.

Overhead and employees actual wages and dare I say, some profit to be made.

Now that I have gotten my little lecture out of the way, you also are paying for someone that has the proper level of experience to do the task that you are considering.

Different situations, sometimes require falling back on a similar experience to discover the most practical solution to your problem. Your situation is not an easy and simple process which would require the minimum amount of experience.

A guy does not just show up to work one day and discovers that he knows the solution to every problem. That requires experience.

Now, you add into the mix, that a tar and gravel roof wil need to be removed and either patched or replaced, (Replaced would be the right solution to prevent further complications.)

You are asking for an extensive amount of experience and talent to do this job.

I can not, in good faith recommend or encourage, you to proceed with this repair with your lack of knowledge and experience.

If you decide on enlisting the aide of a professional roofing contractor, then I would gladly offer you as much advice and provide you with proper specifications to ensure a positive outcome.

I am sorry in advance, if you take this critiquing and lack of encouragement, as a dismissal of your skills and knowledge, but I am teling you the truth. In the right circumstances, I gladly provide detailed remedies to those that have a task confronting them, that I feel is within their capabilities.

When and if you decide to proceed, please include photos of the interior damage and also of the existing flat tar and gravel roof, including any roof penetrations and tie-in areas.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:13 PM   #3

Repairing OLD Leak

Ed-

Please forgive my original post. I was in no way attempting to be rude, but realized only too late that I might come across that way, which was why I went back and edited my comments back out...too late I can already see. Please forgive my ignorance.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:19 PM   #4

Repairing OLD Leak

No need to ask for any kind of forgiveness,

After all, this is the internet.

Read carefully through the rest of the recommendations though, since I am sincere about the advise and did not ambiguously redirect the message to you, due to a "Minorly" perceived inflection of a rude comment.

No harm, no foul.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:25 PM   #5

Repairing OLD Leak

Thanks..

And I DO understand that using a qualified contractor is always the best. Unfortunately I really only am financially able to most likely undertake this roofing job myself as I doubt I could afford the cost of a professional. The size of the building in question is approximately the size of a 1 car garage. The roof itself is wood planking with the tar/gravel that I mentioned before. I think more than anything else I will have to do this myself for financial reasons is why I came to this board first. I should have stated that in the first place. This is a problem that I do need to have repaired and I know for a fact that I will have to cut/remove the affected planks. If I get a chance, I'll try to take pictures of the inside of the ceiling, as well as the roof itself also and post them here....
Old 02-23-2008, 09:33 PM   #6

Repairing OLD Leak

Ed....please delete this thread. I will repost a new thread later and will give better/more details then.

Thank you.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:29 AM   #7
Pro Slate Roofer

Repairing OLD Leak

Odds are 99% against anything resembling an effective repair. Plan on doing it all.

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote