Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #1

Share |

repairing cracks on a flat roof

I have a mid-century modern home with a completely flat roof. There are now some cracks in the roofing material, most are about 1/16" along the seams, but some are wider where the roofing material curves up to the metal edging (see attached pics). I'm considering doing a DIY repair job with Henry's 209 – ELASTOMASTIC® ROOF PATCH and the accompanying 183 Reinforcing Fabric. My goal is to just get through this So Cal winter, as I know that a new roof is overdue.

My questions are:
1 - Are the Henry's patching products I mentioned a good solution?
2 - Are my cracks too big to be patched?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
repairing cracks on a flat roof-2013_roof2.jpg   repairing cracks on a flat roof-jan13_roof.jpg  
j_midcentury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
Roofmaster

Do you have blisters in hot weather? Like air pockets (Bumps) on the roof?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #3

Not really. Overall, the roof looks pretty good. There are some bumps where the roofing material was applied heavy, but no blisters.
j_midcentury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
Low Slope Roofing

Nothing wrong with repairing it that way as long as you remember that it will not last forever.
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
Windows & Remodeling

+1. Repair away, it will buy you some time, but ultimately you'll need to replace it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HomeSealed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
Doing This Way Too Long

Don't waste your money on that Henry's crap if you can help it. I would suggest going to your bldg supply or preferably roofing supply and getting some modified mastic and cotton webbing. Karnak has always been a decent mastic.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
Roofmaster

To repair things like the crack that you have shown, you are going to want to cut out the delaminated material. Remove all of the loose surface stuff that is scaling, as best you can. Brush the area to be patched with D-41 primer. Trowel on a thin coating of flashing cement. Embed 6 inch wide D-173 Asphalt Saturated Cotton Fabric in flashing cement centered on crack, and trowel in. Top coat with flashing cement. Trowel on second coat of cement, then embed 12 inch wide D-173 fabric. You need to use cotton, not fiberglass because it will conform nicely.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
Low Slope Roofing

I think a couple of people missed the part about only needed it to get through the winter in SO. cal....

FWIW Some of henry's products are actually pretty decent.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
Roofmaster

I agree Sarge. The smartest thing that Henry did, and i gave them the idea, was to come out with a 2.5 gallon bucket of roof cement. Same diameter as a typical 5, half the depth, and weight. No black elbows.

True story: I went to a distributor (SeaBoard) to pick up 30 cans of "Monroe" roof cement. I was apparently not supposed to go into one area of the warehouse, but I did. There sat cans with labels from abut 6 different sales entities and they were all being filled with the same mastic. The same thing happened when I worked in Bayway, the Exxon Refinery, (Whew, what a barren wasteland) all the tanker trucks from different fuel companies pulled up to the same watering hole.

I dont see whay he only wants to get through the winter if he has no leaks, or blisters, but he has a bad design there because he does not have a raised edge at his gravel stop. The bituminous to metal tie in always fails first on BUR's from dissimilar movement. That's why parapet walls and internal drains are better.

Last edited by jagans; 02-01-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken
Don't waste your money on that Henry's crap if you can help it. I would suggest going to your bldg supply or preferably roofing supply and getting some modified mastic and cotton webbing. Karnak has always been a decent mastic.
Henry mastics have been extensively tested and proven to perform in a variety of conditions. Henry now offers warranties on certain of their products that the competitors do not offer.
Chris Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
Doing This Way Too Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Brink View Post
Henry mastics have been extensively tested and proven to perform in a variety of conditions. Henry now offers warranties on certain of their products that the competitors do not offer.
Sounds like a Henry's rep. Things may have changed in the past few years with their products that I am not aware of.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #12

looks like its already had some elastomeric put on it. id get some of the matting and go over the cracks with it, then put three coats on the whole roof. there now you have a new roof that should last for many many years.
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #13
Fixer-'til-broker

Henry's stuff is TERRIBLE! I have the same scenario. The cheap local brand of "solarflex" is much thicker. After I patched the cracks it opened up and leaked again. It's better to just save some money replace the materials in the shoddy job.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #14
Roofmaster

Test Dummy,

DId you embed asphalt saturated fabric into the cement and then top coat it? No roof cement will bridge cracks.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #15
Low Slope Roofing

Judging by it cracking again I would say not.