DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Roofing/Siding (http://www.diychatroom.com/f9/)
-   -   Repairing an Almost Flat Roof... ?? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f9/repairing-almost-flat-roof-180814/)

LabRat0116 05-29-2013 04:35 PM

Repairing an Almost Flat Roof... ??
 
I'll be "trying" to repair a roof leak/damage on my back porch roof. It is a very low pitch (almost flat)... From charts I've seen, I would estimate it to be around a (3) degree pitch.

The roof area is roughly 18' x 14'. The damaged area is mostly on the leading edge on back 3-4 feet.

My intention is to replace the decking from the leading edge back (4) feet with new OSB board.

My budget is very tight on this repair. We're budgeting $200-300 or so.

My question is this....

Q: What is the best material to over lay the OSB ?

Here's some pics....

http://public.fotki.com/Labrat0116/deck-and-shed-roof/




http://images50.fotki.com/v1557/phot...fdamage-vi.jpg

http://images43.fotki.com/v1505/phot...SCN0335-vi.jpg

http://images15.fotki.com/v588/photo...SCN0330-vi.jpg

http://images59.fotki.com/v684/photo...SCN0331-vi.jpg

AndyWRS 05-29-2013 04:48 PM

If the condition of the entire "flat" is as we can see in the pics, your efforts will be for nothing.

Replace all the sheathing thats bad and put a completely new roof on the entire flat.

joecaption 05-29-2013 04:56 PM

There's nothing I can see in those pictures that was done right I agree 100%.
Looks like someone may have tryed to use rolled roofing whiich is the lowest of the low grade roofing then tryed to goop on tar to stop it from leaking.

LabRat0116 05-29-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyWRS (Post 1190508)
If the condition of the entire "flat" is as we can see in the pics, your efforts will be for nothing.

Replace all the sheathing thats bad and put a completely new roof on the entire flat.

The back half is actually leak free and in good shape.

I simply don't have the budget to redo the whole thing. Perhaps down the road maybe.

I really need to STOP what is leaking right now and repair whatever damage I can.



.

LabRat0116 05-29-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1190516)
There's nothing I can see in those pictures that was done right I agree 100%.

Looks like someone may have tryed to use rolled roofing whiich is the lowest of the low grade roofing then tryed to goop on tar to stop it from leaking.

I agree. This is how we bought it several years ago.

However, I am the culprit for using about (10) gallons of roofing tar over the years. :whistling2: :wink:

Anyways, like I said above this, I need to do whatever I can do right now within my limited budget.



.

LabRat0116 05-29-2013 05:06 PM

After I demo the front 1/2 of the roof and put down new OSB, what is the best approach there after ?


.

joecaption 05-29-2013 05:11 PM

May as well flush your money down the toilet as to try and fix just 1/2 the roof.
Laying a Heavy duty tarp of it would work better.

LabRat0116 05-29-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1190538)
May as well flush your money down the toilet as to try and fix just 1/2 the roof.

That's great but some of us don't have extra $$$ laying around right now. Gotta do what ya gotta do.

Surely someone can give me some helpful advice.


.

jagans 05-29-2013 06:37 PM

From the looks of the roof at the eaves, the asphalt on this roof is severely alligatored and oxidized. Basically it is shot, and it was not even done right in the first place, so what the guys here have said is correct.

It should not cost you very much to tear off this roof, fix the deck and go back with something like EPDM which is user friendly.

I guess you could cut a couple of 4 inch holes in the deck back where it ponds and insert a couple of lead roof jacks through the holes upside down set in roof cement to release the water, so the damage to the deck does not spread, but it seems easier to fix the deck and just re-roof it. If funds are as low as you say they are you have to worry about eating, before you worry about a porch roof.

joecaption 05-29-2013 06:51 PM

Amyone notice what was used for rafters and how there attached?

jagans 05-29-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1190623)
Amyone notice what was used for rafters and how there attached?

I guess they are just back nailed, no ledger strip, no hangers. How did this get past the inspectors? Ya never know.

joecaption 05-29-2013 07:23 PM

And look like just 2 X 4's. Wonder if there's any bounce?

LabRat0116 05-29-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagans (Post 1190657)
I guess they are just back nailed, no ledger strip, no hangers. How did this get past the inspectors? Ya never know.

No idea. It passed out VA inspection when we bought the place.

LabRat0116 05-29-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1190665)
And look like just 2 X 4's. Wonder if there's any bounce?

Yep. They're 2 x 4s. Very little bounce actually.

Looks like I'm in for at least a tear off the old roofing material and replacing the lower 1/2 of the OSB sheathing.

Someone mentioned EPDM. I have no idea what that is. Can someone please enlighten me ?

Is this the rubber roofing material ? I've seen that, I'm not sure how it adheres to the underlay.

Do I need felt paper over the OSB for any of these coverings ?

Remember, you're dealing with a layman here. Come to my job (Medical Technologist) and I'm sure folks wouldn't know much about it either! LOL!

Any help is appreciated! :thumbsup:

LabRat0116 05-29-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagans (Post 1190608)
It should not cost you very much to tear off this roof, fix the deck and go back with something like EPDM which is user friendly.

How much would you figure (ballpark).

What is EPDM ???


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved