Repaired Shed Roof - Does This Look Acceptable? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Repaired shed roof - does this look acceptable?

Hired a company to fix a hole in our shed roof. A tree branch punched a 3- or 4-inch hole in the roof. They came, gave us an estimate, and arrived the other day to fix it. We weren't home at the time.

On the outside, the shingles look fine. On the inside, this is how it looks.

In a handful of spots, there are strips of plywood an inch or two deep that don't go from rafter to rafter; there is a seam along the length somewhere, and in more than one place you can push the plywood and move it. On the patch (the largest white piece), there is a gap you can stick your finger through and touch the underside of the shingles.

And the nails used to attach the shingle stick out at least half an inch on the inside.

Am I being too picky? Does this look like a competent repair?

Thanks, y'all.

Attached Images

Advertisement

munchie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Did you ask them to, or did the bid say they would replace the plywood sheathing? If so then it is not acceptable. If not, I am not sure the question?

If these new nails are the first you have seen? And it is a shingle roof? How was the rest of the roofing attached?

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 08-15-2013 at 04:38 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
munchie99 (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #3

Yes, the estimate said "Replace damaged plywood."

It's a shingle roof. There are no nails under the original shingles. He told me on the phone this morning that that's normal. He says the code changed since the shed was built; he says they used to use staples, but those would come loose, so now they drive nails straight through the plywood.

This is a free-standing barn-type shed, maybe 10 x 15. The white you see in the pictures is some kind of wood, but it does not resemble the plywood that was there.

Last edited by munchie99; 08-15-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,514

Looks like a craigslist hack special to me.

They should have replaced the plywood at least 16" up from the eave and cut it back to break on the rafters.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Duckweather (08-15-2013), munchie99 (08-15-2013), Windows on Wash (08-16-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
Metal Roofing

Rewards Points: 552

Did you pay them in full?

Its a shed, but that doesnt mean you want low quality workmanship. Hopefully you are still holding the $.

The sheathing they put in is not professional.

Last edited by AndyWRS; 08-15-2013 at 06:01 PM.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyWRS For This Useful Post:
munchie99 (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #6

Only a third so far, the deposit. The boss is supposed to come back in a day or two so I can show him what they did.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
Metal Roofing

Rewards Points: 552

The pics are small and my eyes are old so i am not seeing much in the pics. I do see the small sheathing strip and that it isnt broken over the rafter. Other than that and the nails i cant make anything else out.

I would have them fix it.

We wrapped a large beam in metal while the customer was on vacation. It was not in the contract, just an extra he wanted done while we were on site for the roofing. He assumed we were going to square the beam up by cutting shimms and adding plywood to it prior to wrapping it. We didnt, it wasn't ever disscussed to square it up. We took it completely appart and did what he wanted because we choose to do it while he was away. It was the right thing to do even though he also was holding the $. They should fix it and not make any excuses.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyWRS For This Useful Post:
Duckweather (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 604

I don't think you can complain about the nails. Roofing nails on a roof is pretty standard (assuming those are roofing nails ---large diameter head). If its a low shed, and somebody's head could reach those nails, you really should put something on the underside.
You may be able to argue that when the contact says "replace plywood", it needs to be replaced with the same type of plywood.
He obviously used every piece of scrap he had lying around to fix your roof. If you got a "use my old scrap" price on the job, its hard to argue he should have spent the money on a sheet of plywood.
Looks like a Craiglist special to me, too.

Advertisement

SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote