Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
pjm

Share |

repair for a vent pipe

I found a leak in my vent pipe for my kitchen sink the problem is the rubber sleeve that goes around the pvc pipe has a gap on one side of it. Can I just use some roofing tar/cement (the stuff in the caulk tubes at home depot not really sure what it's called I just know it's for small repairs) and cover the gap or should I replace the whole sleeve? If I had to replace the sleeve I would need someone to come in and do it for me because I have no idea how to do it and I don't want to make the problem worse. If I had to have someone come in could you give me a rough estimate as to how much it would cost me?

Thanks in advance.
pjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:16 AM   #2

repair for a vent pipe

You should probably replace the pipe boot flashing with a rigid one, typicaly one made of lead.

If your roof is a walkable pitch, you should expect a service call fee plust 1-3 hours time for labor, depending on if and where they have to run to go get the supplies. This would be dependant upon your areas local rates per hour.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
pjm

repair for a vent pipe

The roof is not pitched, I walk on it to clean my second floor gutters all the time. The only sleeve's I found at home depot where aluminum ones with a rubber gasket the slips over the pipe and then you attach it to the roof. I guess I'll have to get someone to take a look at it.

Thanks.
pjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

repair for a vent pipe

take a flat bar,remove the nails on the shingles surrounding the pipe collar,remove the collar,install the new one,then reset the same shingles around the pipe where they were before,renail them,and seal any nails and holes with elastomer,if you damaged the shingles removing them,then use them as a template ,and cut new ones to match---you can use the flat end of the bar to separate the sealant strip,--Do it when the roof is cool-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:43 PM   #5

repair for a vent pipe

How much does it generally cost to have a contractor replace the boot? thanks
tygger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #6
Residential Roofer

repair for a vent pipe

the best course of action is to have some one replace it, but thats going to cost any where from $120.00 too $250.00 depending on who you call.

A local handyman service type person may do it a little cheaper.

If it's only the rubber sleeve thats leaking, you can seal it with caulking and if done properly it will last years, but don't use roof cement because it dries out to fast when left exsposed to the eliments,
use a clear silicone caulking, it's designed to be left exsposed.
Pull the rubber back the best you can and shoot some caulking inside and than run a continues bead of caulking around the top outside of the rubber and smooth it out with your finger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:19 PM   #7

repair for a vent pipe

Thanks for the info. I called a local business and they're charging me $250 each. I thought it was kinda expensive... but guess it's right on the mark. I tried to get up on our roof, but it's too steep for me. We have cedar shake shingles (not sure if that effects pricing).
tygger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:11 AM   #8
Residential Roofer

repair for a vent pipe

Cedar Shakes is what we call a specialty roof here in my area, just like Tile, Slate, Metal, etc.
The cost for these types of roofs are normally higher than asphalt shingles,
for both installing and repairing.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:39 AM   #9

Smile

repair for a vent pipe

Hi there, I am probably a bit late with reply. But these guys may help:

www.curon.co.uk

You can do all sort of things with this curon stuff and easy to use yourself.
RepairGirl is offline   Reply With Quote