Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #1
They're all fixer-uppers

Rewards Points: 500

Removing wood shingles before replacing roof

Hi, a friend asked me today about his roof. He's got a 100 year old house and it's in need of a roof. He's been quasi-budgeting/saving for what he expects to be the ballpark range. He learned today that the existing asphalt shingle roof is installed over wood shingles. I haven't seen the roof myself, but I'm guessing it's wood over spaced board sheathing. This just put the cost of the replacement way beyond what he could afford through a contractor. The question is, is it feasible to do the tear down and possibly even the re-sheathing himself to save some of the cost and have a contractor do the roof? is this a particularly challenging thing to do or just labor intensive?

J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 718

It's possible for him to do himself depending on his age and shape.The old roof needs to be torn off and the skipsheeting needs to be covered wit th "at least" 7./16" osb and papered before the new shingles can be layed.As a contractor,I would not guarantee a roof that the home owner did the sheeting on.

mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
J187 (04-08-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,226

First question I would ask. Is how bad does the Attic look. Is there any signs of leaking around vents & chimney, if there is one that goes through the roof.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
J187 (04-08-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 03:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 782

Depending on his age, physical condition, abilities, it can be done by the homeowner.

But as was mentioned very few contractors will warranty the roof that has been sheathed by someone else.
their best bet is to get a home equity loan for this job, or a contractor willing to take payments.

ED

When I was in high school (in the dark ages), I was in a construction class that did these kind of jobs in the summers, to get the experience, and class credit, the homeowner furnished the materials, we furnished the labor, School district had a Contractor on staff that got a wage to point his finger ( do it this way),

Everyone won.
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
J187 (04-08-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 162

Its not unheard of for someone to strip the old shingles off their home and have someone else come in and shingle it, its just less feasible when you multiply the layers.
Your friend could easily spend 40+hours stripping his roof. It will also leave the roof open to the elements longer than necessary.
PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PatChap For This Useful Post:
J187 (04-08-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,226

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChap View Post
Its not unheard of for someone to strip the old shingles off their home and have someone else come in and shingle it, its just less feasible when you multiply the layers.
Your friend could easily spend 40+hours stripping his roof. It will also leave the roof open to the elements longer than necessary.
The bad thing is that as a home owner. You have to pull the permit to tear off. Then the roofing company has to pull another permit to do the roofing job.

A lot of home owners have fallen off of roofs, due to not wearing safety gear. I stopped going up on mine, after I got it redone in 2008. Now if I need anything done on it. I can call the guy that did it, and he will come and fix any problems, or check stuff out.

He actually uses old chair & couch foam for sitting on, when up on the roof. Keeps you from sliding down. Plus makes it a little more comfortable up there.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
J187 (04-08-2014), roofermann (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
The bad thing is that as a home owner. You have to pull the permit to tear off. Then the roofing company has to pull another permit to do the roofing job.

A lot of home owners have fallen off of roofs, due to not wearing safety gear. I stopped going up on mine, after I got it redone in 2008. Now if I need anything done on it. I can call the guy that did it, and he will come and fix any problems, or check stuff out.

He actually uses old chair & couch foam for sitting on, when up on the roof. Keeps you from sliding down. Plus makes it a little more comfortable up there.
I roof everyday and I wouldn't want to strip a 3/4 layer roof myself..but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.
Just pounding down the old tacks on the thing could take a whole day for one guy who knows how to move on a steep roof.

No permits for roofing here, so I hadn't considered that aspect of it.
PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PatChap For This Useful Post:
J187 (04-08-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 04:45 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,100

You have not lived until you have had to push sheets of sheathing up a ladder all day and try and line them up with the edge of the roof.
gregzoll (04-07-2014), J187 (04-08-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 05:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
You have not lived until you have had to push sheets of sheathing up a ladder all day and try and line them up with the edge of the roof.
Nor toted 100 square of Asphalt shingles up a two story ladder, one bundle at a time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (04-07-2014), J187 (04-08-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 05:10 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,100

Two old for that poop. I order roof top delivery.
Even using a laddervator is to much for me anymore.
de-nagorg (04-08-2014), J187 (04-08-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 516

What is the pitch of the roof? How high ? How many square feet is the house? Could be easy, could be suicide -- depends on the house and the home-owner.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SPS-1 For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (04-08-2014), gregzoll (04-07-2014), roofermann (04-07-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #12
They're all fixer-uppers

Rewards Points: 500

all valid points. Thanks. He's a young guy, early 30s and he worked on telephone poles for a living - having said that, the roof has a decent pitch and the permit thing could be a huge hassle - as will the warranty. He's getting a few quotes for both ways. Thanks.
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 516

I was concerned about the pitch. A lot of those old houses have pretty steep pitch. They were smart back then ---- big pitch to help the water run off the roof --- lasted a hundred years so far. They were brave back then too --- I don't think I would be doing it --- (but the, I was braver when I was 30 too).
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
I was concerned about the pitch. A lot of those old houses have pretty steep pitch. They were smart back then ---- big pitch to help the water run off the roof --- lasted a hundred years so far. They were brave back then too --- I don't think I would be doing it --- (but the, I was braver when I was 30 too).
Bravery was not what MOM called it, But yeah me too.

ED
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (04-08-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 530

With a crew I worked on, we re-sheathed, papered and starting shingling back an old two story farmhouse in one day. This could be done by yourself, but with rain and weather risk and just sheer time involved, it would probably be best to have someone else do it.

FWIW-I've seen strips of wood added to roofs that are sheathed with 1x materials to fit inside each gap. It's not idea, but does make it a little better.

You don't really know until you get up there. I wouldn't assume (unless you know for sure) that they boards are spaced out. My parents have a home built in the 20s and while the sheathing was 1x boards, they were butted very close together and were in good condition.

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote