Removing Organic Growth On Siding And Shingles - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

removing organic growth on siding and shingles

2 story house with 1 story attached garage on north end of house. I have some green growth on a 10 foot section of the asphalt shingled roof on the 1 story garage, nearest the north exterior wall of the 2nd story of the house that extends up from where the garage connects to the house. This 10 foot wide section starts at the peak of the garage roof and goes down both sides of the garage roof.

I also have the green growth on the North exterior wall (rough cut cedar siding) on the 2nd story of the house above the garage asphalt roof. The growth on this wall starts at about 2 or 3 courses of siding above the peak of the garage roof and then extends down as the roof slopes down all the way to the gutters.

I am comfortable working on the roof and the pitch is not steep. I think I will get the zinc strips for the asphalt shingles. I have not seen the zinc strips recommended for siding...will they stain siding or don't they work as well?
What can I use on the siding to kill what is currently there. I am thinking of painting/staining the siding this fall and want to get all the organic material off the siding before doing so.

Someone mentioned a 1 to 1 solution of bleach and water in a sprayer for the shingles..does this work? After spraying do you sweep off the dead organic material a week later? Can this be used on the cedar siding as well? Will it do anything i don't want to happen (staining etc...) to the surfaces it is applied to.

I saw another poster who said use RoundUp (weed killer). same question as above, can I use it on both the siding and the roof. Will it do anything i don't want to happen (staining etc...) to the surfaces it is applied to.

In summary - (you can cut and paste these questions to your reply and then put in your answer after each of the questions) Please add any additional useful comments from your experience.

1. Use Zinc Strips on the Cedar Siding -
2. Use bleach and water on the siding and shingles to kill the growth -
3. Is RoundUp a good choice for killing the growth on both surfaces -
4. After using bleach/water or Roundup, do I just brush off the dead material a week later?

Any answers or advice would be appreciated.
thanks
Tim

Advertisement

Last edited by hardmat; 08-10-2014 at 11:23 AM.
hardmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 536

removing organic growth on siding and shingles

Google "Wet and Forget"
Zinc strips are not used on siding.
Over hanging trees causing this issue?

Advertisement

Windows on Wash (08-11-2014)