Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2011, 05:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing Bedroom Skylight

I have a skylight in our master bedroom that the original owners built in. (See attached photo) To me it's in the most ridiculous location. It's not centered in the room in the firstplace and the skylight is way up in the ceiling rendering it useless. To make matters worse there is evidence of a prior leak and there is some kind of darkening film on it from the outside. A guy at work (who's built homes before told me it would not be that much for a good roofer to come in and take out the skylight and reshingle the roof. The skylight is on the rear of the house so any color differences in shingles would not be seen from the road. I have another friend who does great drywall work and can fill in the opening in the bedroom and paint the entire ceiling. I was told that everything would be around $600..does that seem reasonable for this amount of work?
Attached Images

scsiguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,016

That figure could be right. Maybe only $450, to remove the lite, resheath, and patch in, 3-5 hours. Maybe.
Inside, reframe the bottom of the hole, put in a center joist, and sheet it. About $250. Tape and paint, a tad more.

I'm looking at it from here, not there though.

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer

If you wanted to light that room up any, get tube lites. Much better for this application. Keep in mind, bedroom skylights can be distracting at night.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666
That figure could be right. Maybe only $450, to remove the lite, resheath, and patch in, 3-5 hours. Maybe.
Inside, reframe the bottom of the hole, put in a center joist, and sheet it. About $250. Tape and paint, a tad more.

I'm looking at it from here, not there though.
Thanks for your opinion. Should I also have the roofer price in a cost for removing the boxed in area from the skylight down to the ceiling? That can be reached easily from the attic. If this is removed then I'd be able to put in some insulation where the opening used to be.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666
If you wanted to light that room up any, get tube lites. Much better for this application. Keep in mind, bedroom skylights can be distracting at night.
You're right! I hate them especially when it rains and I have ti listen to the constant tapping on the skylight.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:59 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiguru View Post
Thanks for your opinion. Should I also have the roofer price in a cost for removing the boxed in area from the skylight down to the ceiling? That can be reached easily from the attic. If this is removed then I'd be able to put in some insulation where the opening used to be.
Yes you'll want to remove that drywall so the part that is currently boxed in will be insulated and ventilated along with the rest of the attic.

I'm not sure the roofer needs to do it, and I know I couldn't match that texture. If they could do all that well, and for only $600, I'm guessing they'd be terribly slow.
jmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
Pro Slate Roofer

Any roofer should have abasic understanding of simple carpentry and opening that well to the attic, and even framing for the sheetrock shouldn't be a problem.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
Any roofer should have abasic understanding of simple carpentry and opening that well to the attic, and even framing for the sheetrock shouldn't be a problem.
Should, but not too much anymore. Just like most Framers can only frame, they're not really Carpenters like they used to be. Let alone, in some areas, Roofers are not licensed to do Carpentry work.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:09 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

I like to think I have pretty good skills wrt drywall and plaster repairs, and could of course throw a couple nailers in that hole, but always refer the painter for textured ceilings.
jmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 25

I am having two skylights in my bedroom and one in the bathroom removed with a new roof put on this year. The remodeling company said it is simple to do. You don't need to completely remove the drywall in the well area. Just make sure holes are punched in them and it's insulated. Mine all leak and I currently have a leak where the wall meets the ceiling below one of them. I hate skylights. Nothing but trouble. Remove it!
Slyguysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguysmoke View Post
I am having two skylights in my bedroom and one in the bathroom removed with a new roof put on this year. The remodeling company said it is simple to do. You don't need to completely remove the drywall in the well area. Just make sure holes are punched in them and it's insulated. Mine all leak and I currently have a leak where the wall meets the ceiling below one of them. I hate skylights. Nothing but trouble. Remove it!
That sounds great!! Glad someone agrees with me. How are they going to fix the ceiling? Is it stomped or flat? Mine has a stomp so I know a guy who's a great drywaller and I'm sure he can fix it easily and then paint the whole ceiling. I spoke with a roofing contractor and he said it was an easy job to remove the skylight and re-roof. Post some pics when it's done.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #12

"crows feet" textured ceiling. They will match the pattern as much as possible and prime and paint the ceiling. Unless you stare at the ceiling and look very carefully, a good company should get it so it is not noticeable. No matter what, no more wall and ceiling stains, repeated "fixes" of the leaks (6 in last few years), and obnoxious rain noise and sun in my face will be awesome!
Old 03-04-2011, 09:00 PM   #13

Before pics. The water stains are visible...
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2011, 09:02 PM   #14

Quote:
"crows feet" textured ceiling. They will match the pattern as much as possible and prime and paint the ceiling. Unless you stare at the ceiling and look very carefully, a good company should get it so it is not noticeable. No matter what, no more wall and ceiling stains, repeated "fixes" of the leaks (6 in last few years), and obnoxious rain noise and sun in my face will be awesome!
I know exactly what you mean about the rain noise. I watch the weather forecast before I go to bed and if they call for any type of heavier rain I put my earplugs on...invariably when it rains at night and it hit's the skylight I wake up. Also, they are not very well insulated and you can feel cold air coming down from the skylight well. I'm definitely going to tear mine out by next winter.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Before pics. The water stains are visible...
Wow!! Those things really leaked!! You definitely need to get rid of those.