Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #1

Share |

Remove existing roof or no?

Hey guys!
I received 4 bids to replace the roof, and I am really confused. Some contractors say there's MORE than 1 layer, some say there's only 1 layer of older roof.
First, Is it necessary to remove the existing roof or is it ok to install a new roof on top of existing one?
Second, If I decide to install the new roof on top of old one, am I taking a risk of continuance of wood root if it DOES exist currently (in the wood sheathing)? We live in sunny San Diego, it doesn't rain here much.
Thank you,
Edita

edavt04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #2

Definitely take the old roof off. It's just the professional way to do a roofing job. By taking it off, you can see areas of rot or damage and have that fixed. Also, most roofing manufacturers will void any warranties if you do a Roofover.

Being in SD, I would say the odds are in your favor that the sheathing is in good shape, but, with such a big home improvement investment like a new roof, I would want to be certain that everything under that old roof is ok.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
joecaption (11-09-2013), Live_Oak (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #3

If a so called roofer can not figure out if there's one or two layers your already in trouble. Might take all of 30 sec. to figure it out.
The cost to remove is double if there's two layers so you might want to figure it out yourself to know who's trying to BS you.
Gymschu (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
Metal Roofing

If you have two layers or more your SOL anyway, its not like your going to t/o one so you can put a new one over the old and still end up with 2 layers. Tearing off all layers is always best. Not sure about SD but in OC we have a lot of termite damage. If your seeing termite damage around the property then more than likely it is in the roof also, best to tear off and get it all replaced prior to roofing to give you peice of mind.

Out of the 4 bids, how many say its one layer and how many say its more?

I think your going to find that any "roofers" bid will have quoted properly vs some roofing companies sales rep biding the job. Someone who doesnt really know what they are looking at is not going to be able to determine the number of layers correctly.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
registered

a lay over will turn out to be expensive the next time you need a roof. A roofer has to be stupid not to know how many shingles are on a roof. I would recommend a tear-off replace sheathing as need. Proper ventalation. Then a good 30 year shingle. I like certainteed landmarks.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #6

Thanks guys!
Two contractors told me there's 2 layers of roof, the other 2 said one. Go figure. I guess I have to figure out myself how many layers. Will get on with it.

Today there was another contractor that said he can install a new roof right on top of existing one, and he said: "If other roofers are telling you otherwise, they just want to suck out money form you!". Go figure...
edavt04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #7

I just flat out refuse to do roof overs anymore.
Always comes back to bite you in the butt.
Common complaints: It's not as smooth as the old roof, I still see water stains on the under side of the roof, some of the tabs blew off, I do not like the way the outside edge looks.
Can you do a roof over, sure if it's not against code in your area, Is it the best way to do it no.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #8

my dad was a builder for almost 50 years. whether the building codes allowed a roof over or not he would never do so. if the client insisted on a roof over he'd let someone else do the job. as joe said "too many issues" in the long run.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #9

Surprising how short a customer memory is when it was there idea in the first place to cheap out and things go wrong.
I want people to say who did that for you, not who did that to you?

Gymschu (11-09-2013)