DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Roofing/Siding (
-   -   Removal of Vent Pipe (

Bigbobdallas 11-29-2007 07:57 AM

Removal of Vent Pipe
We have removed our gas and there is a couple of gas vents where we had some gas appliance and heating and I am taking those out. The roof is Shingles and it is going to have about a 4" circle hole. What is the best way to take care of the hole. I thought maybe cut a piece of metal sheating and cove them up. But is there a better way. It is by the way a 4 x12 pitch roof and trusses if that helps plywood under shingles.

cibula11 11-29-2007 11:30 AM

Are you reroofing your house?

If not, what is the harm in the pipe? I would leave it if you are not putting new shingles on. Otherwise, best way would be to cut the extisting sheathing from truss to truss and add a new piece. We have covered smaller holes with flashing, but 4" is large considering a 4/12 pitch will be supporting more weight in snow and water sits on a lower pitch for longer amount of time.

Bigbobdallas 11-29-2007 11:51 AM

This one has a leak around it that is the reason

Mike Swearingen 11-29-2007 12:19 PM

Do you have shingles to patch with to exactly match your existing shingles? If so, you can remove the existing shingles back to past the roof trusses on either side and patch the roof sheathing, roofing felt and shingles.
If not, why don't you just seal around the pipes with black plastic roofing cement until you're ready to re-roof with all new shingles that do match.
That cement is extremely sticky and can be applied in the rain to seal leaks. Wear old clothes, rubber gloves and use a throw-away paint paddle to spread the cement with. You WILL get it on things that you don't want to. LOL

Ed the Roofer 11-29-2007 06:11 PM

Don't use any sheet metal for a patch. Besides the lack of structural support and the future possibility of someone stepping on it some time down the road and collapsing it and/or breaking their ankle, their would be a large sheet metal surface for condensation to collect on and drip into the residence.

Do it with equal thickness plywood or plank boards, which ever you have on it currently, and go from rafter to rafter with the patch. Also, use at least a 2 foot X 2 foot piece minimum for structural stability.

What is that black stuff Mike was talking about? I have not used that on any roof since my old hot tar roofing days.


the roofing god 12-01-2007 11:35 PM

by all means cut in the plywood joist to joist,although wit adequate insulation /ventilation saying that large sheet metal srface ill drip water into the residence is overkill

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1