Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2012, 03:42 PM   #1

Share |

Reduce Roofing Costs

I got several quote for a new roof on my 950sq ft house and they are just crazy, nothing that I could easily afford at this time, yet the house needs it done. So I have been thinking up things to talk to the company's to try to get a discount. My wife and I decided this job is just beyond what I would be capable of doing and it turning out good looking..

Ask for a cash discount. Easier that it sounds even when you cant afford something. I have done this in the past. My credit card company charges an INSANE interest rate for a cash advance.. So once you get the cash you transfer the whole balance over to a second 0% interest card..

I was thinking about trying to do the tear off and clean-up myself.. I can get a couple of roofing shovels and a couple of friends and go to town the day before the roofing crew shows up, I only have 1 layer of roofing so I dont think it would be to difficult. If I have a whole day to do this I may even by able to tear off the whole 11 or so square by myself?? but I have never done this type of thing before so who knows..

Can you guys think of anything else to save some money?? I thought about just going to the Craigslist ads and finding a roofer and then buying the materials and paying the guy to do it but then would I be getting questionable work? Maybe, maybe not??

Thank in advance guys..

cbzdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
bbo

Reduce Roofing Costs

around here, many roofers subcontract with other roofers. I knew the sub and had them come out and quote. make sure the sub has all necessary licensing and insurance fyi.

price was about 1/2 of guys quoting it. same materials and all. did a quality job and I am very happy. sometimes markup is quite heavy.

bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
"So I Re-Wired It"

Reduce Roofing Costs

is this a standard two sided roof, or something a little complex with dorners and such??
get all your info, know what materials you need and quantity.
check for local wholesale suppliers for roofing materials and get pricing.

you will need:
dripedge
water and ice barrier
30lb felt
ridge vent
starter shingles
good quality shingle(however many square you need)
hopfully no need to replace any decking
and maybe a few other things.

once you have an idea how much materials cost, try calling a few roofers to see if they will supply the labor, nails, and accessories for a good cash price.
also get several quotes for them to just do the whole job.

in the end you may just decide it doesnt pay to go thru the hassle
MisterZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #4

Reduce Roofing Costs

Maybe I don't understand but why would paying by cash be any different than paying any other way?

At 11 sq, your roof would be done by us in half a day, start to finish. I am sure other roofing companies will be the same and may even want more money if you tear off. I can't see the quote being much more than $4500, at least around here.

Your best bet is to talk to a bank and get a loan.
ParagonEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #5

Reduce Roofing Costs

My roof is shaped like a "+" so I have 4 gable ends and 4 valleys and the whole thing is at a 7/12 pitch, and its just a single story house.. There is no access for a dumpster or a truck to hoist the shingles to the roof.. All of these things combined are giving me alomost a $10,000 quote or so the contractors are saying.. Maybe I just need to keep shopping around.. I had budgeted $4000 for this because I was told to expect to pay about $300 per square for tear off, materials and install..
Old 07-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
"So I Re-Wired It"

Reduce Roofing Costs

300/sq would be a great price.
There is a lot of waste with this design. Labor and materials go up too.
Sorry i couldnt help more, but i dont think you'll save much by tearing off yourself.
MisterZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
Metal Roofing

Reduce Roofing Costs

I would get more bids, that sounds high to me even with the additional charges for pitch and access.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #8

Reduce Roofing Costs

If you only have one layer and your local codes allow why not just do a go-over? You won't have to pay for removal or disposal. Re-roofing over one layer of shingles is very common in my neck of the woods. I prefer to strip off and that's what I always advise my clients to do, but many times budget dictates a go-over.
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #9

Reduce Roofing Costs

I hear bad things about going over, seen that it causes pre-mature wear and such.. Or is this just something made up to encourage the sale of full tear offs?
Old 07-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
Metal Roofing

Reduce Roofing Costs

I wouldnt go over this particular install.

The post tie ins for one and the mechanically fastened edge completely wrong.

id still like to see a better over all pic of deck showing the tie in between the membrane and the rest of the deck at the mech fastened location.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #11

Reduce Roofing Costs

huh? you totally lost me on that one
Old 07-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #12
Metal Roofing

Reduce Roofing Costs

Post 8 offered the option of going over the existing with a new roof.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #13

Reduce Roofing Costs

Yes, get a hack, pay him cash, then whine about how crappy of a job he did. And cash? Why is this cheaper? Are you expecting your "contractor" to not pay taxes on it? Someone who regularly skirts the law? just the kind of person I don't want ANYWHERE near my home.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #14
Roofing Contractor

Reduce Roofing Costs

When I ran an add in the yellow book my competition (other yellow book roofers) bid very very low. Some would call me for a quote and when I showed up they would say can you do it lower than $X,XXX.XX??? Used to look up at the roof look at them say no and thanks for your time, then go back to my truck. Some they would tell me over the phone the price to beat and those I could just do a simple drive by.

I guess what I'm getting at is try to the yellow book, them roofers there may be willing to do the work for dirt cheap (like my area).

Like others said even at 15sq's one layer 7/12 no access at $10K is a ton of money! Doubt any insurance carrier would ever pay those prices.

Did you forget to mention your home is on an island with a 100ft cliff on all sides?
dougger222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #15

Reduce Roofing Costs

I was not trying to offend anyone with the "cash discount", I was not implying that.. Alot of the times cash is just simpler they can do what they want with it, not implying that they not pay taxes, if they do that is their business not mine.. It gets rid of the credit card fees and risk of a bad check.. Alot of gas stations in my area offer a $0.10+ a gallon discount if you pay cash, no one would question that, its advertised even right on their sign.. Less hassle, your know its going to be good and not additional credit card fees..