Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Redoing tile roof

I know nothing about tile roofs! I am in Ft Meyers FL and am looking at buying a house with what appears to be a concrete tile roof. The house was built in 1986 so it should be the original roof.

The owners say the roof needs replaceing and have a $8000 estimate.

Can the tile be removed, the material under them replaced and the tile reinstalled?

Any advice, information, links or wise cracks greatly appreciated. JIm 0311

jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Redoing tile roof

Don't know if I'll be able to help, but without pictures you may be shooting in the dark.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,016

Redoing tile roof

You'd better get another estimate. The tile alone could run $10,000. for the roof. Then, $20,000. for the labor, flashing, felts, etc.
I wouldn't even bother with an asphalt shingle proposal. No need in getting a 10-15 year roof.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 514

Redoing tile roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
I know nothing about tile roofs! I am in Ft Meyers FL and am looking at buying a house with what appears to be a concrete tile roof. The house was built in 1986 so it should be the original roof.

The owners say the roof needs replaceing and have a $8000 estimate.

Can the tile be removed, the material under them replaced and the tile reinstalled?

Any advice, information, links or wise cracks greatly appreciated. JIm 0311
Let's see. All kinds of problems with this. First, all concrete tile I am familiar with comes with a 50 year warranty. second, unless your house is tiny, then the estimate is way, way off.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #5

Redoing tile roof

Thanks guys. No matter how many times I do this I seldom give enough or the right information. Someday I will learn or yo guys will learn to read minds!

Anyway, I am not concerned about the estimate, it is for stripping the old roof and replacing with asphalt shingle. I am 63 so a 15 year roof should be just about right

My question would be as a DIY'er could I remove the old tile, save it. Repair and damage, put whatever it is they use as an underlayment today and then replace the tile?

I would actually try to get a roofing company to do the repairs and install any material that needed to go on before the tile. I would remove and reinstall the tile??

Simply put is the tile salvageable? Is it worth the effort?

I like the look of the tile but know at todays prices I cannot afford to replace it.

Thanks JIm 0311
Old 02-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

Redoing tile roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus
Thanks guys. No matter how many times I do this I seldom give enough or the right information. Someday I will learn or yo guys will learn to read minds!

Anyway, I am not concerned about the estimate, it is for stripping the old roof and replacing with asphalt shingle. I am 63 so a 15 year roof should be just about right

My question would be as a DIY'er could I remove the old tile, save it. Repair and damage, put whatever it is they use as an underlayment today and then replace the tile?

I would actually try to get a roofing company to do the repairs and install any material that needed to go on before the tile. I would remove and reinstall the tile??

I like the look of the tile but know at todays prices I cannot afford to replace it.

Thanks JIm 0311
You'll break a lot if them.
Then you'll be trying to find matching tile, which you won't find.
Not a viable proposition I don't think.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

Redoing tile roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post

Thanks JIm 0311

All roof tile is not created equally, especially concrete tile. But, it's more than likely the tile can be removed, new underlayment installed, and the existing tile re-used. There are numerous tile salvage yards nationwide where replacement tiles and specialty pieces can be obtained.

The brand and model needs to be determined. Get some photos of your tile and search "roof tile salvage", after 1st checking local roof suppliers to see if they still sell your tile. We do several of these jobs a year and I've never not been able to find the tile I need. We often do full roofs with salvaged tile or slate.

As far as the DIY aspect, it's possible, but not probable. We scaffold the roof edge and move the tile from the roof to the scaffold to keep from moving it to the ground and back up. Some tile hangs on a wood grid that will have to be removed and replaced to replace the underlayment. An average size house can take a 4-5 man crew several days to do just one side.

Last edited by seeyou; 02-08-2012 at 08:24 PM.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seeyou For This Useful Post:
framer52 (02-09-2012), rossfingal (02-09-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #8

Redoing tile roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post
An average size house can take a 4-5 man crew several days to do just one side.
Thanks for the responses 4 to 5 men that know what they are doing! verse's me who does not have a clue. That sum's it up for me, Ill pass.

Thanks again JIm 0311