Recommend Fall Arrest Harness/System? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2012, 12:58 AM   #1
Maryland

Rewards Points: 250

Recommend Fall Arrest Harness/System?

This spring/summer, we'll be doing some steep roof work and also re-siding a 2.5 story house from pump jacks. We're looking for a personal fall arrest system that will be sufficient for both purposes. So far, we've determined that we'd like to use a shock absorbing lanyard, but we're still up in the air about the harness and anchor point(s). Also, it seems like it would make life easier if we had a lifeline and rope grab. (Could work further from the anchor point than just the lanyard length) We like the look/description of the systems from Miller, but we're interested in hearing opinions from those of you who have experience with different systems.

What manufacturers/brands would you recommend? Any recommendations on harnesses? Type of anchor points for roof/siding? 25' or 50' lifeline? (Max roof height is around 36') What do you use personally?

Advertisement

Pittsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
EIT/DIY'er

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsville View Post
This spring/summer, we'll be doing some steep roof work and also re-siding a 2.5 story house from pump jacks. We're looking for a personal fall arrest system that will be sufficient for both purposes. So far, we've determined that we'd like to use a shock absorbing lanyard, but we're still up in the air about the harness and anchor point(s). Also, it seems like it would make life easier if we had a lifeline and rope grab. (Could work further from the anchor point than just the lanyard length) We like the look/description of the systems from Miller, but we're interested in hearing opinions from those of you who have experience with different systems.

What manufacturers/brands would you recommend? Any recommendations on harnesses? Type of anchor points for roof/siding? 25' or 50' lifeline? (Max roof height is around 36') What do you use personally?
Have always used Miller.

For lifelines, all work I've done with them has been engineered installations compete with stamped calcs and drawings, however my work is mainly industrial so I'm not familiar with standard practices in the residential arena.

Each anchor point must be able to withstand a 5000lbs loading...per person attached to the anchor point. Might want to take a look at Miller's website to find products suitable for your application (maybe their temporary roof anchors) and be sure to follow the instructions perfectly.

Advertisement

Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I sell Miller fall protection and would be happy to assist you in finding just the right equipment.
mike_genovese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 252

I would suggest taking a course, just so you know what you are getting yourself into. They are usually half a day, a couple hundred bucks, and will give you info on what to look for in a harness, how to set them up, and what to use for lanyards.
shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazapple View Post
I would suggest taking a course, just so you know what you are getting yourself into. They are usually half a day, a couple hundred bucks, and will give you info on what to look for in a harness, how to set them up, and what to use for lanyards.
I can also set you up with the training if you're interested in that route as well.
mike_genovese is offline   Reply With Quote