Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #1

Share |

Re-tiling a cedar shingle summerhouse roof.

Hi eveyone
Here is the first of many i suspect, DIY questions.

I am about to embark on a shingle roof repair project which involves an old but much loved summerhouse.

Its many years old and structally sound but the roof has had it big time (under an oak tree does'nt help ).
Anyway, i stripped all the old shingles off back in march, and have now obtained replacement shingles for the job, the cost of shipping over to the uk similar fish tale shinlges was totally out of the question due to the cost involved.
I am going to use plain ones instead of the same lenght but the widths are random .
My main concern is this, should i use roofing felt under the shigles.
no felt was use before and it never leaked even during the wetest of winter etc.
I can't really remove all the cross timbers as they are cut into the main roof sections etc.
can i refit without and still be assured of a dry setup.

I have to replace some other timber section on the rear as they are shot also but not a major issue here.
I have added some pics , so what do you think and reply back with any recommedations.
I think you will see what i mean by the roof being shot....

rob

Last edited by redsps; 10-03-2010 at 06:20 AM.
redsps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
Doing This Way Too Long

Oh you got yourself a helluva project there. Looks like it's well worth the effort though. I like the look of it.

What are you replacing with, shake or shingle? What is the length and butt thickness?

OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:22 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Technically you are not "tiling" anything since you're not putting back tile, but I get the point.

That's a heck of a project to learn on. This manual by the cedar shake and shingle bureau should answer all your questions... http://www.cedarbureau.org/installation/roof-manual.htm there are different methods which depend partially on the product you are installing. Typically for cedar shingles we will first run out the felt to cover the substrate, but then again we will typically have a solid substrate. For shakes we will typically interweave the felt courses with the shake courses, it's actually the felt that provides much of the water protectiveness with wood roofing systems.

I would also encourage replacement of the flat sections so as not to incur having to tear up parts of the new sloped roofin a few months or years to fix those areas. It makes sense to do now.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote