Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
keeping things simple

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Re shingling a hip roof

My bungalow has a hip roof and I'm wondering if it's possible to re-shingle it one section at a time. I'd like to do section A this summer because it's leaking around the chimney and vent.

The pic shows a sketch of the top view of my roof (not to scale), the chimney goes right up through the eaves (section A) and needs flashing on front and back and step flashing so that's going to take some time.

I'm not sure how the shingles join on the hip ridges, are they overlapped or cut along the ridge. If they are overlapped on the ridges then I'd have to do the whole roof at one time. If they're cut along the hip ridges then I'm thinking I could do one section at a time.
Attached Thumbnails
Re shingling a hip roof-hip-roofsketch.jpg  

Last edited by frankm1960; 06-12-2013 at 03:12 PM. Reason: add info
frankm1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 192

Re shingling a hip roof

Trying going on just about any shingle manufactures web site for full install details.
If your not even sure how the shingles get installed you may want to concider having a real roofer At least do the side where the chimmney is.
If you do not mind a lot more waste and having to rip off shingles that have already been installed then it can be done in sections. Far better to do it all at once.

If that was my roof I'd get rid of all those small vents and add a ridge vent in the center instead. You'll have more air flow and it would look a whole lot better.
I also would had a cricket on the high side of that chimmney to devert the water away from that valley where waters going to want to lay.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=17

frankm1960 (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
keeping things simple

Re shingling a hip roof

Hey Joe... I thought you said those types of ridge cap vents are no good.
Here's what you said about them in another thread...

#1 No way would I have used that style vent.
All my local shingle supplys and even the box stores in my area stopped selling it because just does not give enough venting, and done wrong it looks like a snake eatting a rat.
Cap shingles should have covered every inch of the vent!!!
Got a picture?

Are we talking about the same type of vent ? ... the ones that come in a roll and are installed right on the top ridge then capped off with shingles ?
What am I missing here ?

But ya I definitely would like to replace all those annoying vents with one nice clean one at the ridge... but I've read posts in here saying they don't give enough ventilation and they are prone to leaking.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 18

Re shingling a hip roof

As a fairly skilled DIYer who redid his hip roof 2 years ago.........I can say with authority DO NOT DO ONE SECTION AT A TIME. REPEAT, DO NOT DO A SECTION AT A TIME. Talk about one helluva mess!

I did mine a side at a time for a couple reasons......one, my insurance company only gave me enough money (from storm damage) to do one side. Two, time issues.......working full time and trying to reroof just don't go together very well.

Here's the problems with doing a side at a time. You will be stepping on the side you have done to get to the side you currently are doing thus damaging what was already done. To protect your roof from leaking, you HAVE to lay the ridge shingles or at least tarp over where the hips meet to keep out the rain.........a total waste of material as you have to rip up the ridge shingles to do another adjacent side. Getting rid of the old shingles becomes a costly proposition as you have to rent a dumpster or borrow someone's dump truck to get rid of the tear-off.

In the end I learned a lesson the hard way. I should have just hired a quality roofer. With roofing you just don't save as much $$$ as you think by doing it yourself. Good roofers in my area would have done my small hip roof for under $10,000 and they would have done a better job. By the time I bought the shingles, the tools, the accessories, etc to do my roof, I had close to $10,000 in the job and wore myself out doing it! My two cents.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
frankm1960 (06-13-2013), joecaption (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #5

Re shingling a hip roof

That poster your refuring to had a roofer that had installed roll type vents not the plastic ones like this.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=6
frankm1960 (06-13-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 8

Re shingling a hip roof

I don't see a problem.

1. Strip the roof.
2. Paper the roof.
3. Work as slow as you like now.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cleveman For This Useful Post:
frankm1960 (06-13-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #7

Re shingling a hip roof

Felt paper left exposed wrinkes up and is useless, it will need to be removed and replaced.
Just a guess, have you ever even done a whole roof by yourself Cleverman?
Old 06-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 8

Re shingling a hip roof

Joe, you are a fine man.

Your paper should be fine for 2 weeks or more. It is not a permanent solution, but should allow you plenty of time to finish your roof.

Without a pneumatic nailer, you should be able to roof a 24x72 building in 4 days, easy, by yourself.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #9
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 104

Re shingling a hip roof

30lb felt would be a better selection if you are sectioning the roof.

Even better would be some synthetic and it would not add to the budget appreciably at all.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
frankm1960 (06-13-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 08:13 AM   #10
keeping things simple

Re shingling a hip roof

Joe, thanks for clearing that up on the type of ridge vent.. you're saying the rolled type are not good but the plastic ones are good (as in the link you provided).

What makes the plastic ridge vents better than the rolled ridge vents ?
The both would provide the same amount of ventilation. I'm not sure about water leakage though.

Last edited by frankm1960; 06-13-2013 at 08:31 AM. Reason: more info
Old 06-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #11
keeping things simple

Re shingling a hip roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveman View Post
Without a pneumatic nailer, you should be able to roof a 24x72 building in 4 days, easy, by yourself.
That would likely depend a lot on who that man is and how complicated the roof is.. ie valey's, ridges, hips, skylights, chimney's etc...
If my roof was a standard bungalow (two sections of roof) with only pipe vents and a ridge vent I could probably handle it ok...
Old 06-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #12
keeping things simple

Re shingling a hip roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
30lb felt would be a better selection if you are sectioning the roof.

Even better would be some synthetic and it would not add to the budget appreciably at all.
I've been thinking about using synthetic underlay... can leave it 6mon without worry, step on it with plenty of grip etc...

I could strip the whole roof, install the underlay and take my time (theoretically ) but I'm sure there's issues with that plan as well.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #13
keeping things simple

Re shingling a hip roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveman View Post
I don't see a problem.

1. Strip the roof.
2. Paper the roof.
3. Work as slow as you like now.

You don't want to leave that felt up to long before covering with shingles... synthetic underlay I've heard you can.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #14
keeping things simple

Re shingling a hip roof

Gymshue, I hear ya loud and clear... I'm tittering between contractor and diy at the moment. I did have a contractor do my roof the last time, 1998. Paid for 25yrs shingles and they're already toast. Roof leaked from the get go and I got a small refund from them for that but within a year other leaks appeared. It was a disaster... my ceiling are damaged as well. So that's a little of my history for you. That's why I'm tittering
The Following User Says Thank You to frankm1960 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (06-14-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #15
keeping things simple

Re shingling a hip roof

Has anyone used these ridge vents before ?
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/cobr...dvanced/985912