Re-Roofing Picnic Shelter (Possible Oops!) - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2010, 02:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Re-Roofing Picnic Shelter (Possible Oops!)

I was out of town this weekend while my wife and some of her friends and their husbands volunteered to put a new asphalt shingle roof on an old picnic shelter.

When they stripped off the old asphalt rolled roofing, they determined the plywood sheathing needed to be replaced. They went and got some 1/2" OSB sheathing to put down.

Each half of the roof is approx. 24' long, by 14' up the gable. They decided to over hang the roof 1' on each end of the gable, so each side is now approx. 26' long, by 14'. Starting on the bottom left corner of one side of the roof, they placed an 8'x4' OSB board with 1' hanging over the edge of the gable. The joists are 24" on center, and when they put the 8' long board down with 1' hanging over the edge, the other edge of the board is not on a joist. And they continued this across the entire roof so that none of the OSB boards 4' edge rests on a joint. (Well maybe one or two edges do rest on a joist, since they had to cut a piece in there somewhere.) They installed drip edge, then put down 15# felt paper, and 25 year, 3-tab shingles.

My wife is a hard and capable worker who can do what you teach her to do, but doesn't have any experience in roofing (I'm no expert either!), but she is now concerned, and frankly so am I, that they screwed up royally by not putting the edges of the OSB boards on joists. Supposedly, some of the other wives' husbands had some construction and roofing experience, so she was reluctant to speak-up.

My question: Is this going to create much of a problem down the road? We're in NE Ohio where we do get some snow accumulation, but no one is going to be walking on the roof once its done.

Does this need to be taken down, or will it be okay?

I appreciate any advice you can give. Thank you.

Advertisement

RmblnJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:15 AM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,038

Yes it will. Short of replacing the rood and decking, you may be able to cut 4' lenghts of 2x4s and sister them to the rafters as needed, then open the roof by removing all shingles in the affected area, nailing the decking to the sisters, re-installing the shingles.

Advertisement

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
RmblnJoe (03-23-2010)
Old 03-23-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,180

You may(will) want to get some blocking under those joints--Plenty of Liquid Nails should be used --

Not a pretty fix--?? those sheets will curl if they aren't blocked.--Mike--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
RmblnJoe (03-23-2010)
Old 03-28-2010, 12:58 AM   #4
Commercial Roofing

Rewards Points: 500

How did somebody NOT go through this while shingling it, and you should tear it all off and do it properly. This is a catastrophe.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AaronB For This Useful Post:
RmblnJoe (03-28-2010)
Old 03-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Well Aaron, that was kind of my thinking. But its not my picnic shelter, and when my wife voiced my concerns to a few of the other wives, it was not met with much enthusiasm (to put it mildly).

So, I'm not sure what's going to happen at this point.
RmblnJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #6
Commercial Roofing

I'm sorry to be so bold sometimes, but I would have to warn anyone about going up on this roof... Tear it off from underneath if possible.. anyone could get really hurt walking on this roof. Doesn't seem like it would be unlikely.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
The Following User Says Thank You to AaronB For This Useful Post:
RmblnJoe (03-30-2010)
Old 03-28-2010, 11:01 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'm thinking the 1' overhang on each side is going to sag too
Especially if you are in an area with lots of rain/moisture or humidity
OSB really is not made to be exposed to the elements

Did they use drip edge ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scuba_Dave For This Useful Post:
RmblnJoe (03-30-2010)
Old 03-29-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
Newbie Bill

If you want the roof to last more than a few years, then the roof clearly needs to be redone and no more 1 foot overhangs without support.

Somebody needs to communicate that to the other volunteers. It'd be nice to have a roofing expert do that to provide some expertise. I imagine if you share your thoughts you will just be questioned by those involved who claim to have some roofing experience.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drtbk4ever For This Useful Post:
RmblnJoe (03-30-2010)
Old 03-29-2010, 05:42 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,044

I would add framing on edge similar to the joists under the sheathing (osb board) seams. Also add some similar framing as a new joist under the 1 foot overhang of the sheathing. Use liquid nails or similar adhesive but no nails or screws that would penetrate the felt or shingles. Meanwhile leaving the shingles intact.

Several (perhaps 5'3") lengths of 2x4 mounted flat and spanning three existing joists plus the added joist under the 1' overhang at the side will support the latter. Use screws instead of nails to hold these 2x4's to the outermost existing joist. Or use diagonal braces from the added joist under the overhang to the columns or other structure at the sides if the sides are not open.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-29-2010 at 06:02 PM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
RmblnJoe (03-30-2010)
Old 03-31-2010, 09:45 PM   #10
Commercial Roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
I would add framing on edge similar to the joists under the sheathing (osb board) seams. Also add some similar framing as a new joist under the 1 foot overhang of the sheathing. Use liquid nails or similar adhesive but no nails or screws that would penetrate the felt or shingles. Meanwhile leaving the shingles intact.

Several (perhaps 5'3") lengths of 2x4 mounted flat and spanning three existing joists plus the added joist under the 1' overhang at the side will support the latter. Use screws instead of nails to hold these 2x4's to the outermost existing joist. Or use diagonal braces from the added joist under the overhang to the columns or other structure at the sides if the sides are not open.
...or you could just do it right...

Advertisement