Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2008, 09:58 AM   #1

Share |

Re-roofing house questions (Currently have Cedar shake w/ 1x6 slats)

Hello,

I'm getting bids on re-roofing my house in Texas. It is about ~2300 sqft including the garage and was built in 1977. It currently has asphalt? shingles over Cedar shake on 1x6 slats evenly spaced on 2 ft centers. The only ventilation I have is 3 spinning turbines and a couple small gable end vents on the North and West ends of my house. The roof is L shaped.

I want to go back with Radiant barrier, 90' of ridge vent and something for intake (soffits or edge vent, in-vent, smartvent?)... I don't have much overhang to work with as one roofer said you can't put soffit vents where windows are?

One roofer says that he thinks we need to leave every other slat for structural stability but that it will reduce the radiant barrier's effectiveness to around 75-80% instead of 96%. I would like to have maximum efficiency and since he's not going to be tearing off the whole roof at once (doing it in sections) is this really an issue? (or is it just more labor intensive so he doesn't really want to) Another roofer said they always remove every slat.

So is removing every slat really a structural issue and what kind of intake should I go with?

Also, the shingles he is suggesting are Owens Corning Oakridge 30 yr. He didn't specify the ridgevent type...I'll ask.

Thanks for any suggestions...
techjap

techjap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:53 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Re-roofing house questions (Currently have Cedar shake w/ 1x6 slats)

remove all the slats,and sheathe with 3/4"plywood,if you have a soffit area to vent,vent it,regardless of windows,they should be sealed and insulated,well before you reach the soffit,and actually have solid structural supports over the tops of them called headers,so THAT won`t be a problem-make sure you use raftermatethru all the rafter spaces next to the decking(sounds like you`re talking cathedral ceiling here),and install continuous ridge vent-----NOTE:If you don`t have cathedral ceilings,you would have no problems with leaving the slats,and sheathing over them with 1/2" plywood as they add structural support,the raftermate should extend from attic to soffit,and have insulation tight to it,if you have NO soffit then use the smart vent---not clear on "radiant barrier",but I would recommend UNFACED R-30 insulation over top of your existing insulation

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote