Re-roofing, DURATION TruDef Vs Timberline HD Vs Landmark? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2017, 06:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 24

re-roofing, DURATION truDef vs timberline HD vs Landmark?

Context:
The roof was installed by bunch of hacks 8 years ago, with tons of poor worksmanship issues like improper staggering, no underlayment etc. Which is why the company owner appear to have skipped town and company no longer in business. Did few misc repairs last year. Leaked again few weeks ago and decided that it is time to just bite the bullet and replace the whole thing.

The vents I have up on the roof (2 maxi, 1 ct6, 1 ct4) are all fairly new as well. Ranging from 1 year to 7 years old.

Located in Eastern Ontario. So no hurricanes or hails. Really cold winter with lots of snow and really wet spring though.

So I talked with few roofing companies with good reviews, and basically came down to the following:

Company A:
GAF Timberline HD, System Plus warranty. The owner went up to the roof in snowie weather and determined that the vents are in good condition and can be re-used.
Total cost: $7600.

Company B:
Offers both Owen Crowning Duration and Certainteed. The sales guy was pushing Owen Crowning pretty hard, saying how good the Sure Nail strip is, how much better the OC manufacture warranty is, slightly cheaper than Certainteed but still as good, etc. But on the other hand they are one of the few Select Shingle masters in my area.

Option 1: Duration True definition shingles. Preferred protection roofing system warranty. May re-use vents if they are in good condition (will deduce material cost if it is the case) Total cost: $8300
Option 2: Certainteed Sure Start 5 star coverage. So basically everything will be replaced, and Lankmark shingle will be used. Total cost: $8700

Price wise they are all fairly consistent with other quotes I have gotten. So questions:
  1. Does the 25 years on Sure Start 5 star mean it will cover worksmanship mistakes and issues? Or is it limited to manufacture defect only? Couldn't find the legal document on Certainteed website that explicitly explains it.
  2. Company B installed a lot of Owen Crowning, a lot of GAF roofs, but very few Sure Start 5 star roofs. Should I be concerned with this?
  3. Is the sure nail strip as good as the sales guy say it is? or is it water trap of rusty nails as I have read in a few forums.

Both companies have good online reviews and have been around for a while. Both offers 15 years worksmanship warranty (in our area 10 years worksmanship is fairly standard). Company A appears to be an experienced older roofer with a crew. Company B seems to be a lot formal with official sales people, secretary, 4 crews etc.

Trying to make a decision before within the next few days or so. Any recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks.

Advertisement

Last edited by Dimeron; 03-20-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Dimeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:54 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,706

Re: re-roofing, DURATION truDef vs timberline HD vs Landmark?

The equivalent warranty to the 5 star would be more on the Platinum side of things for OC.

Both are great shingles though so you can't go wrong either way.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote