Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2008, 09:46 AM   #1

Share |

Re-roofing

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']I live in Michigan. I had roof damage from the remnants of Hurricane Ike which also produced a leak in a second story room. My insurance adjustor told me the company would pay for only half the roof because he determined that only the back half of the house showed real damage.[/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']I have three layers of asphalt shingles over cedar shingles. I have been advised by two local contractors that Michigan code requires that all three layers of asphalt shingle and the layer of cedar shingles have to be removed, new plywood installed, then the new roofing of asphalt shingles applied.[/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Here’s the catch: both local contractors have told me that Michigan code requires that if 25% or more of the roof is going to be replaced (the insurance adjustor said there was 50% damage), that the entire roof has to be replaced.[/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Does anybody know of a code that I can cite to justify this with my adjustor?[/FONT]
Thanx-

ITalkinSu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
the Musigician

Re-roofing

call your township's building permit/inspectors office, they can verify if what the contractors told you is fact. sounds strange to me though, if the deck is still good, why rip it up and replace it??? if only half the roof is damaged, why rip off the other half??? i think they might be yanking yer chain to pad the bill, but you never know....

DM

Old 10-29-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
(the original)

Re-roofing

"I have three layers of asphalt shingles over cedar shingles."

I'm actually surprised your insurance adjuster is willing to pay anything after seeing that. I'm not familiar with Michigan codes, but every state I've lived in only allows one shingle-over, and even then, it's typically asphalt over asphalt. I'm not sure about asphalt over cedar, but it doesn't sound good to me. Definitely not something I would do. The manufacturers warranty was voided on at least the last two layers as well.
Check with your local building code officials on the percentage issue, but I'd tread lightly with the insurance company. Look closely at your policy to see if there's a disclaimer governing things that were done without proper permits and below code. If there is, you might be wise to take their offer and run before they look any closer.
Sight unseen, I can't say about the decking, but I consider it suspect just because of age and all the layers nailed to it. I'd be prepared to replace it. In any case, the whole roof needs to be stripped and properly replaced.
All that said, there are several pro roofing contractors here who, I'm sure, will be along soon and probably give you some better info. Good luck!
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:04 AM   #4

Re-roofing

Since the original roof was cedar, there is no roof sheathing on the structure. Cedar needs to breathe on both sides of it's surface to dry out uniformly. To that end,you will have 1x3 boards spaced every 4" or so, to allow air to get to the underside of the roof.
You will need to install traditional roof sheathing to install the fiberglass roofing shingles.
To me , it would be common sense to replace both sides of the roof to equalize the weight distribution on the roof.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:41 PM   #5
Doing This Way Too Long

Re-roofing

Sounds like a post Ed needs to weigh in on.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote