Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2009, 08:06 PM   #1

Share |

Re roof questions

I am going to install a roof over the old one. The deck is sound, and the shingles are flat with no leaks. Do I have to re flash the chimney to the new shingles, or leave the old flashing in place? I will replace the vent pipes. Do they go on top of the old shingles, and under the new?
Thanks in advance!
Lugnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:09 PM   #2

Re roof questions

Roof it like its a new roof. FYI, putting another layer over an old does not let you know if any roof deck problems and it also decreases life expectancy for the new shingles.
BamBamm5144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:35 AM   #3

Re roof questions

Thanks, that is what I figured. As for the re roof life, I think that may not be so. I always heard that, but my mother in law just had her roof done. That roof lasted 47 years and it was over a layer . I am going to go for it. My roof is sound, the shingles are flat, and there are no leaks. The roof is tongue and groove with 2x8s, and no mold or dark spots visible from the attic.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Re roof questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
Thanks, that is what I figured. As for the re roof life, I think that may not be so. I always heard that, but my mother in law just had her roof done. That roof lasted 47 years and it was over a layer . I am going to go for it. My roof is sound, the shingles are flat, and there are no leaks. The roof is tongue and groove with 2x8s, and no mold or dark spots visible from the attic.
It is so. Your mother in laws roof is the exception to the norm. I've roofed over 1000 houses, and trust me, it shortens the life of the new shingles. Not to mention the added weight on your roof.
eisert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:23 AM   #5

Re roof questions

Perhaps her roof lasted 47 years before it started to leak but maybe she needed new one years before that. My neighbors 3 tab roof needs to be replaced so badly that it looks like a dimensional shingled roof. He keeps telling me theres plenty of life in it because he hasnt seen any water on the inside. Trust me and Eisert, the life expectancy of the roof will greatly decrease.
BamBamm5144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:10 AM   #6

Re roof questions

Thanks everyone!
You cannot see her roof from the ground, so I do not know what it looked like. All I do know is that it finally started to leak after a few shingles showed up in her yard.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:11 AM   #7
Not so new

Re roof questions

Lugnut...might wanna check with the manufacturer as well. Make sure they'll cover it, installed over another shingle.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:18 AM   #8

Re roof questions

Landmark lifetime. As I read it, it is covered.