Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2010, 08:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Rattling Noise from Roof when windy

Everytime when NW windy days, there is rattling noise from roof. Our condo roofer come to check it. First he said it's soffet cover make such noise. He took it down and told me everything is tighten. However, that doesn't solve the problem. I hired a roofer myself. He said my roof is made from shingle and that doesn't make such noise. He told me to check the attic when the noise com out again. I checked and felt so helpless. When i was in attic, the noise come out from roof itself and i can't pinch point where the noise come from. I have been suffering for this loud, rattling noise for a year and still can't find the solution. It drive me crazy during the midnight and i can't sleep with the noise. I am the first time homebuyer and i bought this townhouse a year ago. Since i move in, the noise already there. It only happend when NW, NNW or W windy days and one side of the house.

I recorded the noise from my bedroom and upload to youtube. I hope anyone can help me

drgillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I heard nothing out of the ordinary of your second video.

On your first video, towards the end, there was something like rumbling.

Its possible some flashing is reacting to the air flow over it and vibrating rapidly.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

It sounds like something is resonating with the wind, could be flashing, or anything else that is prone to vibration, having it nailed tight may not fix the problem, you need to change the resonant frequency by making the free distance a different length. This means securing the offending member more often.

I once had a register vent in my bedroom that resonated with the motor of the air conditioner... the vent itself would "sing" in a similar (but much quieter) fashion. Adding a screw halfway between the existing ones solved the problem.
echase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

check if you have a vent with a backdraft damper. ones with the metal flaps rattle in the wind if they don't have a spring.
BMS98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, roof