Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Raising the Roof

Hey all, I have a 1950's era single story home. It is a stick frame and stick rafters. I have an upstairs that in the middle i can stand straight up in (5'9"). We would like to put a master bedroom suite up there. I can only think of two options. One would be to add dormers to allow greater ceiling height across most of the space. While this would work, it would definitely be lower than "normal" ceiling heights. The other option would be raise the roof a few feet, but i am not sure it this is possible. The rafters for the roof are stick built...but the bottoms are actually my "ceiling joists" for the main living floor. My question is this, what would be involved to raise this roof? I am only looking at raising it about 2 feet. What all needs to be considered? does a wall load analysis need to be done on the exisitng walls? Any info would be greatly appreciated. The exterior walls are all rought cut, true 2 x 4. Thanks in advance!

kuss240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 192

Raising the Roof

Your going to find out this is going to be a very expencive and time consuming job.
And not really a DIY kind of thing.
There is no way to "raise the roof" the whole thing would have to be removed, walls added to and a whole new roof added.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
Disabled wood vet

Raising the Roof

Two feet...might as well be twelve feet for what's involved.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:56 AM   #4
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 6

Raising the Roof

Don't forget the ceiling joist are NOT suitable for the floor joists of a second floor. You'll need to remove the roof, add 2x10-2x12 floor joists, move some wiring, add 3-4' knee walls to the outside of the house, add wiring, and then new rafters and the roof. Some plumbing stacks will need to be moved.
Good news is that you'll have 'dead' space on each side to some degree where the ceiling is low. You can build all chest of drawers, and many other storage systems into that dead space in suce a way that the bed will be almost the only thing taking up any of the new space.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:44 AM   #5

Raising the Roof

Thanks guys...I had a feeling that was the case...and appreciate the feedback. I would hire someone to do the expansion. Construction is pretty reasonable around here...I can have a 24x46 addition framed, roofed, sided, 6 windows for $30,000. So I don't know what I would be looking at to raise the roof. I will do some pricing. Thanks again!!
kuss240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:47 AM   #6

Raising the Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
There is no way to "raise the roof" the whole thing would have to be removed, walls added to and a whole new roof added.
Not true for our area, Roofs have been raised. These were truss roofs.
Even know of one guy who build his basement and put a roof on it, then raised it with a crane and built the first floor later.

I have seen 1story houses with steep roofs become 1&3/4 stories with the pivoting of the roof to a lower pitch and adding of walls.

mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote