Raising Cross Beam In A-frame Attic - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Raising cross beam in A-frame attic

My attic is 8m wide and nearly 13m long. Ridge height is 3.10m and the bottom of the cross beam of the A-frame sits at 1.635m above the top of the ceiling rafters of the first floor. As I am fed up with crouching in attics and/or banging my head on the rafters, I would like to raise this cross beam so that its bottom is around 2m above the said rafters so that when flooring and internal studwork work plus plasterboard are in place, there is still a decent amount of headroom in the centre of the attic, falling away at the sides where I will have cupboards to store items instead of the usual boxes/suitcases, trunks etc. Unused furniture etc can then be stored in the attic too. Is there some calculation that I should be looking at to work out how to offset moving the cross beams up by placing vertical supports under each roof rafter on both sides of the attic onto the ceiling joists. The house was built in 1826 and the roof timbers are substantial. My terminology is not professional but I hope someone will understand what I would like to do and come back to me with an answer. Many thanks.

Advertisement

Highland Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
Commercial Roofing

Rewards Points: 500

Raising cross beam in A-frame attic

Call a structural engineer and get him to sign off on it before you make any structural changes.

Advertisement

Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote