Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #1

Share |

Rain water collection to above ground barrel via underground hose

I have seen an advertised rain collection system that has an entry high up in the downspout with a hose from there down the downspout and into the ground. The hose goes underground to a distant point where it exits the ground and rises to empty into the top of a distant barrel. The entry high up in the downspout allows the rain water to siphon to a barrel on the property where the ground is at a higher elevation than the ground at the downspout. That is attractive because the barrel can be above the garden area and the water gravity feed to the garden. I do not need water in freezing weather, but if I set this up as shown in the advertisement (which I cannot now find), the hose will freeze every winter, and I doubt any hose can take that for long. I could use stronger PVC and really bury it, but it will still remain full of water below the level of the top of the rain barrel, and freeze all the way down to the freeze line at both vertical portions, even if the "horizontal" run is below the freeze line. I wonder if PVC would survive freezes.

Anyone tried this method of diverting rain water to a distant storage without pumps? As advertised, it appears the funnel in the downspout does not collect all the water, so if the hose were to plug with ice, water could spill around the entry funnel and exit the downspout as usual.

EdLank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rain water collection to above ground barrel via underground hose

You are talking about something that has been around for centuries, if not the dawn of man kind. The materials may have changed, but the process remains the same.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote