DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Rain gets underneath gutter

3K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  ddawg16 
#1 · (Edited)
Presently we have torrential rain storms in Pennsylvania. The "river" comming from the roof fills th guuter alls the way to the rim (even though it is not blocked at the down spout. The gutter sits right under the slight overhung of the shingles, so that the water can run behind the gutter and into the flashing. The house is 30 years old and has a large flashing, which is about 1 ft high and slopes down to the wall in several bents and curves (don't know how better to describe that). Once the water is in there it finds its way into the house.

I think the only way to resolve that would be to installed an additional flashing, slide it under the shingles and bend it down. It may even be better to install the flashing after a new gutter is installed. The next improvement could be do move the gutter bit further down, since presently it sits right on the shingles. It also does not have a slope to the down spout. The new gutter should have some slop, so I think, otherwise the end of the roof hangs in the water and the roof shingls with the tar paper act like a wick.

I hope somebody can help me. Kind regards, Bernhard:(

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi,

A flashing is the best solution to keep water from going in to the overhang and then into the house.

Larger downspouts will take the water out faster. Pitching the gutter will not empty the gutter faster.

So if your gutters are in good shape there is no reason to replace them.

I will be in your area tomorrow if you would like me to take a look.

#3 ·
Gutters with screws or spikes

The number one thing is to increase the gutters to 6" with 3"x4" downspouts. Do not fasten them with screws or spikes. Find a local contractor that uses a snaplock flashing fastening system. Most homes are never calculated for proper gutter size thus the builder will install the cheapest system possible. There is only one way to fix your problem properly.

#9 ·
I don't see any sign of a drip edge. If you had drip edge, most of the gutter's edge would tuck underneath the drip edge keeping water from going behind the gutter.
That was how my gutters were installed...under the drip edge.....and I can't say I see any on your either.

A 2" down spout moves a LOT of water....something has to be blocked for your gutters to fill up.....I would be looking for a dead animal in the down spout.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Gutter flashing would help, but I'll bet there's a problem with the pitch somewhere.

If you go out and look at your gutters, you ought to be able to see how they are pitched ... where the high spots are relative to the downspouts, and if there are any dips or problem areas. You can break out a tape measure if you need, but 90% if the time it's fairly obvious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.