Rain During Roof Install - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
gbe

Rewards Points: 10

Rain during roof install

I am planning to install the shingles on my new storage building this weekend. I'll be doing it alone (and am a beginner), so it'll take me 2-3 days to finish it. Trick is that during this time of year it isn't uncommon to have afternoon rainstorms, and its likely that the roof will be rained on in a half-shingled state.

Will this be a problem? Should I put tarps over the half-completed sections in the event of rain? The felt has been rained on numerous times so I know it'll dry out on its own with time - but what about the shingles?

Thanks much

Advertisement

gbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

Rain during roof install

There is some chance that water will run under the shingles. If it's a storage shed with no ceiling and nothing in it will get damaged from a few drips, I wouldn't worry about it. It will dry out.

But, the easiest way to keep it dry is to have some felt handy and cut a strip that will lap over the new shingles and under the next highest felt lap. Nail it down and any water that lands above the finished shingles will run on top of them.

Advertisement

seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Rain during roof install

Buy a $ 20.00 to $ 30.00 tarp and cover it up and to be additionally secure, allow enough time to have the roof deck surface cleaned of any lingering nais and then felt in the exposed wood decking first hand.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
www.Ridgeline-Roofing.com

Rain during roof install

I assume you have already done it. How did the project go?

In the future, you certainly want to keep tarps handy if there is going to be rain in the middle of your roofing job.
RidgelineRoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
gbe

Rain during roof install

This past weekend played out a bit differently than I had planned, so I bumped the installation to this weekend. I've got an old FEMA tarp and a couple of smaller ones that I can use as well if it starts raining on me in the process.

Will post a picture or two when done...
gbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Rain during roof install

totally agree with the others. i'm now replacing the ceiling sheetrock in my house from making the mistake of not tarping and trusting the weatherman. a 30 minute spring flood came down last month when i had all the old shingles off. as a rule if there is a way for water to get in, tarp it

Advertisement

racebum is offline   Reply With Quote