DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Roofing/Siding (
-   -   Rafter tail caps? (

weekendwarrior9 09-18-2012 10:49 AM

Rafter tail caps?
1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone know what this product is called and where I could find them? Or are they some sort of custom made item?

joecaption 09-18-2012 10:53 AM

I'd have a sheet metal shop make some up out of copper and use copper nails to attach them instead of those ugly caps.

weekendwarrior9 09-18-2012 12:21 PM

Yeah, I hoping that these caps were just painted white, that I could get them in copper and get them weather naturally.

Was just wondering if these things were an actual product somewhere or had a proper name I could reference them by when talking to a fabricator.

Gary in WA 09-18-2012 10:24 PM

I'd punch a small drainage hole in the bottom flap. The beam gets wet, sun warms the beam, metal warms faster/more than the wood, moisture in beam is drawn (capillarity due to temperature differences) to the metal, can't air-dry, rots. I've pulled a dozen or so due to just that. Punch the hole from inside-to-out before installing.


Windows on Wash 09-20-2012 06:02 AM


I would edge prime the cut ends as well.

Can't hurt and it will help slow any moisture absorption.

Gary in WA 09-20-2012 07:04 PM

The paint would slow the drying as well, possibly blocking the moisture from exiting there, encouraging it to travel toward the warm house (or just saturate next to the beam cap). There is "no win" with wood ends exposed to exterior. The beams/joists/rafters act as heat sinks- moving your paid-for heat outdoors or reverse in warm climates; bringing the heat in to your cooled room. With solid wood at R-1.25 per inch, that's a whooping R-4.4 or R-7 in the wall (usually right at the ceiling where is is toasty warmer than below)!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1