Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2007, 07:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Racking shingles

Is it common practice to rack shingles like you would a hardwood floor? In other words, take shingles from different bundles to blend in any color variations?

UPDATE: OK, I see that racking to you guys means something else. What I mean is to blend the shingles from different bundles, not lay as many shingles as I can before moving on.

Also, the GAF shingles I received from the yard have manufacture dates two months apart (three pallets, two dating 7/05 and one dating 9/05). I called the yard and they assured me (of course they did) that there'd be no problem. They called the GAF rep and he said the same.

I'm pretty sure one pallet will do one side of the gable roof. the other pallet will do the other side. I plan on doing the road side facing roof with the 7/05 so that if I'm wrong and it takes more than one pallet, I'll be OK.

But, should I still rack the shingles within each manufacture run?

The third pallet is there for Just in Case. I can return the extras for a credit back. I plan on keeping a bundle to stick in the rafters of the garage in case I need to replace a shingle or two.

Last edited by FatAugie; 08-08-2007 at 07:46 AM. Reason: clarification
FatAugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:16 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Racking shingles

You obviously discovered that the roofing term "racking" means an application method of installing the sahingles in a vertical pattern versus the stair step method, which is the preferred method to alleviate as much color blend disparities as possible.

If the color of shingles you ordered are already a blended color scheme versus a solid color, then you probably do no have to worry about mixing up the shingles prior to installation.

When you are on the roof top, you will not be able to notice any discrepencies in the color anyway. Someone must be down on the ground to notice the "bundle runs" of color related problems.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote