Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
Newbie willing to work

Rewards Points: 10

Questions re: gable fan

In the process of refinishing my attic. There is a ridge vent running the entire 35 foot length. There are 12 x 18 gable vents at both ends. I also have baffles between the insulation and roof deck.

1) Is it overkill to have a gable fan?
2) Does it matter what direction it is blowing out?? The gable vents point to the east and west. However I anticipate a future kitchen fan that will be near the east end, so it makes sense to have the gable fan blowing out on that end as well.
3) I won't be able to expand the gable vent to be bigger than 12 x 18. Any recommendations on what model gable fan to buy?? The fans at HD and Lowes seem to have really good and really bad reviews. I'd use an AC powered fan.
4) After finishing the ceiling, the fan won't be accessible without damaging the ceiling. Should I actually plan on being able to replace the fan in the future ??

Thanks !!!

FileOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 152

Is this a finished attic?

You have baffles so does that mean you have soffit vents? If so, that should be enough ventilation. Why bother adding a powered fan which is just going to pull air towards it from the ridge negating the benefit of the ridge and soffit vents?

If you're finishing your attic why not put windows where the gable vents are to close them but let light in and just put foamboards underneath the roof decking?

I'm confused.

strategery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Newbie willing to work

Rewards Points: 10

It would be a finished attic. But the vent is above where the finished ceiling would be. I don't have any soffits or eaves or overhang. The gutters run right along where the roof and outer wall interset.

In the attached picture, one of the the gables is above the window.
Attached Thumbnails
Questions re: gable fan-window.jpg  
FileOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

gable fans should not be used ever! these only suck the conditioned air out of the house and waste tons of energy. The gable vents are not needed if proper soffit and ridge vents exist.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani
gable fans should not be used ever! these only suck the conditioned air out of the house and waste tons of energy. The gable vents are not needed if proper soffit and ridge vents exist.
Did you read what he said? He doesn't have soffit vents. His intake ventilation is his gable vents. He can't close those gables unless he puts some new intake vents in. Since he doesn't have overhangs, it might not be wise to do that until he reroofs at which time he could put in some kind of edge vent.

If I were you, I'd leave the ventilation alone until you are ready to reroof. Don't put in a powered fan in the gable because it will just defeat the purpose of your ridge vent. I think ideally you want to have more intake ventilation than exhaust so you don't depressurize the attic.
strategery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:15 AM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

the vents I suggested can be retro fitted without an overhang or a re-roofing. The air intake is under the shingles at the roof edge.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote