Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2006, 08:13 PM   #1

Share |

questions about wood shake roof

Hello,
New member here and have some questions about my roof.
I currently have a cedar wood shake roof that it is approx 26y old and is starting to show some age. By this i mean some shingles are curling up and are becoming very brittle.
I am in N. CA so the weather here is pretty nice most of the year. last year after some high winds i have been finding wood shingles all over my yard and the roof ridge has been partially blown off. In addition to that i saw some minor leaks on the ceiling.

Now, before the rains start i would like to get these issues taken care off and have some questions:
1. what are the benefits of a wood shake roof vs reg tar gravel shingles? I hear wood shake is better for heat absurption
1. What is the life expectancy of a wood shake roof in CA?
2. What are some indicators of a shake roof needing replacement vs repair?
3. it is possible to treat an old roof to prolong it's life?

thanks is advance for any info...

oraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:36 AM   #2
General Contractor

The best shake roofs are the ones we haul to the landfill...shakes were popular for lots of years, and still get installed for the look, but insurance companies are not crazy about it....fire risk is high on the list. There are alternatives like metal shakes that look like wood, high definition shingles are another choice. If your roof is aged and damaged, there is no "fountain of youth" to restore it...just grit your teeth and replace it.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:11 AM   #3
Commercial Roofing

Well, wood shakes can last fifty years IF maintained throughout the life of the roof. This has to start at the beginning of the life cycle. If you got 26 years without maint., cosider yourself lucky.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:36 PM   #4

is there any truth to the point that wood shake is much better for heat decipation?
from what i heard the roof does not heat up as much and the 2nd floor stays a lot cooler because of this.
oraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:10 AM   #5
General Contractor

Shakes do not "absorb" or "hold" heat like asphalt shingles do, and they allow a roof to "breath" to a point. They are expensive to replace, and if you are going back with shakes, you need an experienced roofer, and I mean shake experience.

Everyone has their own preference, but given all the factors, shakes would not be a choice on any home I am building or roofing. Metal roofing is the way to go...
joasis is offline   Reply With Quote