DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Roofing/Siding (http://www.diychatroom.com/f9/)
-   -   Questions about roofing gazebo-type hip roof. (http://www.diychatroom.com/f9/questions-about-roofing-gazebo-type-hip-roof-178505/)

rkingndayton 05-01-2013 07:29 AM

Questions about roofing gazebo-type hip roof.
 
I'll be putting the plywood sheeting on today on my 14x14 corner shed. Here are my questions so I can plan accordingly:

1. Should I put any type of flashing over the plywood joints (at the hips) or even use any roofing caulk/sealant?

2. When shingling, do I overlap the shingles or cut them flush with the hips?

Here is the 3D (via Sketchup) drawing of my project:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...cornershed.jpg

Note* I haven't done roofing for 20+ years, so some tips to remember would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

OldNBroken 05-01-2013 10:22 AM

Edge metal around the perimeter only. No metal on the hips. Cut shingles just like in the picture. Caulk does nothing except cause headaches.

Such a small project I would ice/water the whole thing for a little added security. Mandatory that you post pics when you are done or the internet police will show up.

rkingndayton 05-01-2013 10:27 AM

Awesome advice! I will be posting pics soon.

Thanks!!

rkingndayton 05-03-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldNBroken (Post 1170655)
Edge metal around the perimeter only. No metal on the hips. Cut shingles just like in the picture. Caulk does nothing except cause headaches.

Such a small project I would ice/water the whole thing for a little added security. Mandatory that you post pics when you are done or the internet police will show up.

Question about the ice shield - should I cut it to fit each section, or overlap the seams?

OldNBroken 05-03-2013 09:06 AM

overlap

rkingndayton 05-06-2013 08:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the pic I took this morning of the shed so far. Rain should stop later today; starting on the shingling process tomorrow. :thumbsup:

jagans 05-06-2013 09:04 AM

What was the rationale behind the basic shape? You are going to have a lot of material waste, and most of the "Stuff" you put in a shed, like lawn mower, tiller, snow blower, fits better with square corners so I just wondered?:huh:

rkingndayton 05-06-2013 09:15 AM

I like how the door opens up to the yard. The shed idea came up while planning the stamped-concrete deck that we're planning to have done in the next couple of years. That's AFTER we convert our 3-season room into something more useful (wife wants it turned into a den/entertainment room but we have yet to decide).

So far, I only have a few odd-shaped plywood pieces and a grocery bag of waste materials, so it's not too bad actually. I planned the entire project in Excel as to maximize materials and keep waste to a minimum.

OldNBroken 05-06-2013 10:08 AM

I like thinking outside the box. Right-angles and run-of-the-mill gets boring.
Looks like you designed it for the spot you put it in.

BTW, what jagans was saying is when you start to shingle you are going to have a lot of little triangles of roofing to throw away. Angles always incur the most waste in roofing.

rkingndayton 05-06-2013 10:25 AM

Ahhh, wasn't sure the question was about the roof only, but the shape we chose does come with having scrap, like you guys mentioned. I was just confirming that we knew that going into the project and steps were taken to minimize the over-ordering.

I haven't come up with any estimates on how many bundles of shingles it'll take, but I figured less than 10 when discussing with the wife. If anyone has some time to kill and would like to give me some swag, it'd help me that much more. :wink:

I'm sure the entire project could've costed less and taken up less time, but I'm enjoying the process and sharpening some otherwise rusty skills!:yes:

jagans 05-06-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkingndayton (Post 1173673)
I like how the door opens up to the yard. The shed idea came up while planning the stamped-concrete deck that we're planning to have done in the next couple of years. That's AFTER we convert our 3-season room into something more useful (wife wants it turned into a den/entertainment room but we have yet to decide).

So far, I only have a few odd-shaped plywood pieces and a grocery bag of waste materials, so it's not too bad actually. I planned the entire project in Excel as to maximize materials and keep waste to a minimum.

You are going to have a few bags of triangle shaped shingles left over, that's for sure.

rkingndayton 05-20-2013 05:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 71129

rossfingal 05-20-2013 06:16 AM

Looks pretty good!
(From my house!) :)
Want to stop by and build one in my back-yard!?! :wink:

(You're a 16th, off on the door, though!)

rkingndayton 05-20-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rossfingal (Post 1183016)
Looks pretty good!
(From my house!) :)
Want to stop by and build one in my back-yard!?! :wink:

(You're a 16th, off on the door, though!)

More than a 16th lol! I made the right-side door bigger than the left intentionally. I'm sure it doesn't conform to any standards/what-you'd'-expect, but we're very happy it's finished and that it looks great.

The roof took longer than expected (rain), but overall the project went as-planned and I now have a very jealous neighbor lol.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved