Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Questions about flat roof repair-repalcement

I had a flat roof replaced this week and have question about quality of replacement and workmanship. The old flat roof was three ply fiberglass and hot tar that had cracks and bubbles. The roofer in question came over and showed me where the cracks and bubble were causing my leaking problem and gave me a quote for a torched down roof. He said he would call during the week to schedule job. He called a day or two later and I discussed with him that rain was on the way and would that effect the process? He said they would tear off the old or dry out the existing roof!! The next morning I took pictures of the standing water on the old roof. They started to work on the roof at 7 am and left at 10:30 am. After they left I climbed on top to inspect roof and to my surprise I found the workmanship lacking with the edge pieces not covering the flashing as much as two inches off and runs for four feet in two differrent spots. That is not the worst part. I found nails heads almost protruding up the overlay in several spots and loose bonding in other places. I called that afternoon to get roofing contractor to come inspect. He came over and we went over the list of concerns. I found one blantant place he called a fish mouth where water would pump out at seam. He said he would have his crew back over in afternoon to repair and address concerns and problems. I came home and found a patch 3 foot by 1 1/2 foot over the fish mouth spot and pacthes over one of two none covered flashing areas. I called him and told him that there is still problems and he sent crew again to do spot repairs. Not pretty!!! Two days after repairs and a rain the afternoon before, water was still on roof today and I took more pictures and have found two more fish mouth spot in overlap of seams that pumps water.

Please advise, I have called another contractor to comes inspect at this time I have not paid any monies to contractor.

crhilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
Doing This Way Too Long

What kind of due diligence did you do to check the reliability and legitimacy of the contractor you hired? Dunno where you are at but generally you have to give the contractor a chance for remedy before calling someone else in. Sounds like remedy at this point is tearing it off and starting over again.

What does your contract say?

OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Can you post some pictures?

What was your decided factor in hiring this individual?

What type of contract/proposal did he present to you? Did it have a defined scope of work indicating exactly what he was going to do?

Patches on a modified bitumen roof might not be pretty, which is why you should do it right in the first place, but if done to manufacturer spec are totally allowed. However it sounds like they did a really terrible job overall. Again pics would help.

Are you paying the second contractor for his time to inspect?

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:08 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Post some photos

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
Doing This Way Too Long

awful quiet in here.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:25 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2

curious to see how this turned out too-whats the normal resoultion process with a bad contractor

federer is online now   Reply With Quote