Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #1

Share |

Question on roofing material

I had roofing installed about 7 years ago. On the paperwork it states 180 APPM modified Polyester Roofing Membrane. It is a flat roof.

I was considering applying a white roof coating to help with sun reflection as my 3rd floor gets extremely hot.
I was told by the roofing contractor that installed it, that it was not necessary to apply that because 180 APPM already had a reflective coating.
I don't think they would be lying but just wanted to verify and would it give an extra layer of reflection or if it would just be a waste of time and money.

Last edited by grod777; 09-27-2011 at 03:47 PM. Reason: spelling correction
grod777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by grod777 View Post
I had roofing installed about 7 years ago. On the paperwork it states 180 APPM modified Polyester Roofing Membrane. It is a flat roof.

I was considering applying a white roof coating to help with sun reflection as my 3rd floor gets extremely hot.
I was told by the roofing contractor that installed it, that it was not necessary to apply that because 180 APPM already had a reflective coating.
I don't think they would be lying but just wanted to verify and would it give an extra layer of reflection or if it would just be a waste of time and money.
The term "APP 180" is what Firestone amongst others use to describe their modified bitumen products. The APP means that it was a torch grade product. The "M" means mineral surfaced which also means that it has a granulated surface which is probably white in color (most common color choice for its' reflective properties). So, in essence, it does have a reflective coating on it. Hopefully they applied granules on the overlapped areas and you don't have a striped roof.

At some point down the road you might want to check the roof and if you see granules missing or worn (not knowing your climatic conditions), you could apply a white elastomeric coating or one that is compatible with the modified. Good maintenance practices will help extend the life of the roof.

Horseygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseygirl View Post
The term "APP 180" is what Firestone amongst others use to describe their modified bitumen products. The APP means that it was a torch grade product. The "M" means mineral surfaced which also means that it has a granulated surface which is probably white in color (most common color choice for its' reflective properties). So, in essence, it does have a reflective coating on it. Hopefully they applied granules on the overlapped areas and you don't have a striped roof.

At some point down the road you might want to check the roof and if you see granules missing or worn (not knowing your climatic conditions), you could apply a white elastomeric coating or one that is compatible with the modified. Good maintenance practices will help extend the life of the roof.
Thanks for the input.
So do you think it would worth it to apply the white elastomeric coating on top of what I have (in terms of helping to reduce the temperature of the roof thus reducing the temp of my 3rd floor) or will it be a waste of time?
My neighbor told me he applied it and noticed a 10-15 degree drop in temps on his 3rd floor. But I am not sure what material is on his roof though.

grod777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #4

It won't hurt if you do it but before you do, if recently done, you might want to check with the contractor and make sure you wouldn't nullify any guarantee they gave you on the roof. It might be considered an alteration. So I would check that out first.

Could be your neighbor had a smooth surface product put on without granules and that was the top coating. The white coating is definitely more reflective than the granules.
Horseygirl is offline   Reply With Quote