Question On Re-Pitching Roof - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2008, 04:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

Question On Re-Pitching Roof

Hello Everyone,

Site caught my eye and thought I'd get some feedback on an upcoming project. I'm dealing with a older home and it is going to be a simple tear off and re-shingle, except one portion.

The portion I'm questioning is a 6/12 pitch, but the previous home owners apparently added a small 4x15 addition onto the front of the house. And instead of trying to tie it in to the 6/12 pitch, they merely put some rubber flat roofing down.

So the Question is this, what would be the most cost efficient way to re-pitch the flat part. I have given 2 diagrams below, one with how it looks currently, and one with my idea. If this idea is good or if you have any suggestions let me know. Also, as a note, I say cost efficient because this area will be tore completely off in a couple years as a second story addition will be going up.

P.S. Images Are Very rough, didn't have much time before I have to go so sorry, but I think it gets the idea accross.

Proposed Idea, utilizing 2x4 or 2x6 I'll tie in on top of the current 1/2" roofing in line with current rafters and make a repitched portion, somewhere in the neighborhood of 4/12.

Would love to hear some input on this, thanks guys.

Advertisement

Northern_Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Why not just re-use the existing EPDM rubber material?

That would be your most cost efficient, if it is really Rubber and not a Modified Bitumen Torch Down fully adhered roof material.

Why spend any extra time and effort if you know for a fact you will be tearing it down in a couple of years?

Ed

Advertisement

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:23 PM   #3

Ed,

Thanks for the timely response. I'm doing it for a friend, who wants the "flat roof" removed. It is rubber, but it seems to lack any bracing (rafters) underneath. It is only a 4' span, but my friend wants it done as such. Also, it was a forclosure, so he has certain things he has to do for the bank to get the other part of his loan, and ... voila, I'm looking for the answer to this. Is my idea a phesible plan, can I directly tie in thru the OSB and into the existing rafters, or is there another method I need to use (Explainations or pictures/diagrams I can view would be great)?

Last edited by Northern_Sunrise; 09-08-2008 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 09-09-2008, 02:11 PM   #4

Anyone? Supposed to get started on this project in a day or so, would love some last minute input on my previous posting.