Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2008, 07:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Question About Shingles on New Dormer

I am in the process of having a full dormer put on my cape. I have standard 3 patch (i think thats the term) shingles on the front of my house. My contractor completed the shell of the dormer today and wants to put down these sheets of of shingling material that comes in a roll. Its called flintastic SA. He says that because its a three pitch roof the rolls are the best way to go and that while the standard shingles are less expensive than the roll there would be extra labor involved to shingle the standard way. He also said that if I went with regular shingles I would need to relocate my plumbing vent/stinkpipe to the front of the house if I went the standard shingle route because given that it is a 3 pitch the roof cannot be penetrated to accomodate the pipe. I really dont like the look of the roll and want to know if I am being sold a bill of goods here, especially on the topic of not being able to penetrate a shingles roof. Any help any of you could provide would be so greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

ryanp37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

A 3/12 Pitch Roof, means the slope of the roof. It rises 3" for every 12" of Run. Rise/Run

That is on the borderline, where the definition of a Low Slope, or Flat roof is defined as being equal to, or less than either a 3/12 or a 2.5/12 pitch by various definitions.

It "Can" be shingled still, but with additional protection.

Please either fill out your profile or post where you are located, which makes a big difference on recommendations.

All in all, for the most part, he is telling you enough of the truth. I am not completely buying his rational for the pipe penetrations and design accomodations required though.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:11 PM   #3

Thanks Ed. I am in Rhode Island. Cold winters with a fair amount of snow and pretty warm summers (avg in the mid 80's). Does that influence your opinion. I am being told that the new roof is between a 2.5 and 3 pitch indicentally.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:14 PM   #4

Then, it would be similar, if not harsher winters than my Chicago area.

You would need a product, just to name one of the better brand names, like Grace Ice and Water Shield installed under the shingles, probably for the entire roof deck installation. It will work that way.

Were you trying to say, "3 Tab" shingles in the earlier post as well as mentioning the 3/12 pitch, as the product to be installed?

Proper Balanced Fresh Air Intake Ventilation and Roof Top Attic Exhaust Ventilation will play a key and crucial role in such a low pitched system.

Ed
Old 05-19-2008, 09:26 PM   #5

Yes thats correct. I would like to have 3 tab shingles but the contractor seems really hell bent on using the rolled stuff (certainteed flintastic). I think it will look like hell but i cannot find any sample pictures from around the web. Would I be better off from a functional standpoint to use the rolled stuff or would he 3 tab shingles properly installed be as effective? Do they make the rolled shingles in a way that they visually appear to be shingles (ie small squares in the pattern)?

Thanks for all your help Ed. You certainly have no obligation to answer my questions so you are obviously a very nice guy.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:33 PM   #6

There is a "Shingled Patterned" single ply membrane offered by IB Roof Systems, which need to be installed by a Certified Contractor. I'll get back to you with the name of that particular version of their product later on, when I find the link to it.

The shingles will work, but due to the lower slope and the less adequate drainage, moisture will remain on and in the product for longer periods of time, which will prematurely cause them to curl/shrink etc...

The Flintlastic comes in various colors if you have not been informed of that fact and also another membrane named Soprema comes in patterned roll styles, but I have never worked with that brand due to limited supply availability in my area.

Thank you for the compliment. I enjoy what I do and like to pass what ever I know to others and they can do with the advice what they wish to.

Ed
Old 05-19-2008, 09:35 PM   #7

Click on this link and then click on "Traditions", which is the shingle simulated appearance version of their membrane.

http://www.ibroof.com/home_owners.html

Good stuff from all of the contractors that provide feedback about the material from this company.

Ed
Old 05-19-2008, 10:18 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
Click on this link and then click on "Traditions", which is the shingle simulated appearance version of their membrane.

http://www.ibroof.com/home_owners.html

Good stuff from all of the contractors that provide feedback about the material from this company.

Ed
Never seen that before,pretyy cool!
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:20 PM   #9

And, (RoofDude) from NRG mentioned it and so has TRG a few times and I agree, yes, it is a cool feature.

Ed