Question About Roof - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2005, 02:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Question about roof

Hi, Everybody!
I'm new here, but I thought someone could help answer a question for us.
My husband and I are having our first home built through a homebuilder. We noticed something odd w/ our roof. The sheathing is either sagging or the roof truss is misaligned and it looks like there is a dip/bulge.
None of the other new homes (same plan or other) under construction seem to have this problem. Is this something we should worry about? Our independent home inspector tells us to get to the bottom of this and find out why it's doing this b/c it could cause potential problems. The construction mgr says it's just a framing issue, but hasn't said anyting more about it.

The other issue is a hole that was mistakenly made while they were installing a water heater vent. They were just planning on cutting out a new piece of flashing a size just a little larger than the hole, but we demanded that they replace the old flashing w/ new continuous flashing. They didn't think this was necessary and say that there is no way it will leak w/ the method they used.

I feel like we're being taken for a ride and if we're going to purchase a NEW home then we should get a new home w/o shoddy repairs.

I'd appreciate any suggestions!!

Advertisement

wndsrfgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 05:10 PM   #2
Commercial Roofing

Rewards Points: 500

Question about roof

Roof deck should be flat with no sag, or roof failure is likely to occur.

How large is the hole around the heater stack vent?

Advertisement

Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 05:23 PM   #3

Question about roof

Hi, Aaron.
The hole is about a 12"+ in diameter.

I've been trying to do some reading and seeing if it's a misaligned roof truss or if the sagging in the roof has to do w/ a rafter.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:49 PM   #4
Commercial Roofing

Question about roof

Roof trusses generally take the place of rafters, unless they trussed the main section and framed in smaller sections.

Can you post a pic off the deflection?

How big around is the pipe?
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
Old 12-01-2005, 10:32 PM   #5

Question about roof

Hi again.

Here is a link w/ a few pictures:

http://www.wray-family.com/mjwrayalb...erns200512.htm

I think the water heater vent is about 6" in diameter. Not exactly sure since I can't get up there unless I have a ladder. The picture on the page will give you a better idea.

Hope it helps.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:22 PM   #6
Commercial Roofing

Question about roof

Let me just say this...there is absolutely 100% no way that I would accept that on my house.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:36 PM   #7

Question about roof

Phew! I'm glad we weren't being too picky.
I tried to get a good pic of the roof, but it's very noticeable in person.

Thank you very much for your input. I REALLY do appreciate it.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:01 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 548

Question about roof

If that's not a good picture, then it's very noticable even in a bad picture. I would make them replace the sheet of decking (the one with the extra large hole...er...I mean 2 holes ) and while there in there, they can correct the framing to make the roof flat. You're not being picky at all, you're paying good money for good quality...and that's not it.
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:06 AM   #9
renovations

Rewards Points: 250

Question about roof

I agree with Aaron, that roof will not last as long as it should. There is something wrong in the framing of the trusses/rafters to make it do that. Someone should have caught that before the shingles went on, to do anything about it now is going to involve re-roofing it. Every time you look at that you're going to remember how much you don't like it. At least I would. Seems to me the 'spare' hole in the roof should be repaired properly, not merely flashed. Good luck, and let us know how it works out.
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 02:43 AM   #10

Question about roof

Yes, I agree w/ you guys. This is supposed to be a new house and the quality of work has just been awful. We don't feel as though it's been well supervised, and what's funny is that we had a one-on-one 'interview' w/ the construction mgr before we signed a contract b/c we were in this situation w/ a homebuilder before this one. I guess that was the 'bait and switch'.

We'll have to get w/ the sales mgr and builder and put our foot down. No compromises. I'm not willing to settle. I'll let you know what happens.

Thank for your input!!
Old 12-02-2005, 02:05 PM   #11

Question about roof

Hi, again.
Well, I was doing some investigating and looked back at some of the photos I took of the house as it was being constructed. I noticed something and was wondering if this has anything to do w/ it. Please be patience, since I'm not too familiar w/ the lingo.

A couple of months ago, our home inspector went through the house and noticed a broken truss. The wood was splitting at the bottom and top of one of the 2x4. We told the builder about it and they just attached a brace at the bottom to reinforce the truss. After looking at the photo, I noticed that this broken truss is in line with the one that is causing the roof to bulge.

Maybe this is part of the problem?
Old 12-02-2005, 05:18 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

Question about roof

i am too building right now, the house is framed and windows are in but we have a ways to go yet. maybe i'll try to post some pics. anyway, that work looks awful! i know how stressfull things are, but how does this builder stay in business with such noticable defects as the roof and holes being put everywhere but right? i would be ashamed as a contractor. so far my only issue has been a french patio door that was almost installed. the door was drug across the sandy ground scratching the top of it. i called my general who ordered the framers not to install it until a new one was ordered. hey, good luck.
THEBIGPUNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 05:57 PM   #13

Question about roof

Howdy, TheBigPunn!
You know what's funny is that this supposed to be a reputable builder. What's also weird is that this is the 2nd time this bad construction has happened and our we're first-time homebuyers.

I'll tell you what. I'll never rely on the supervisor to look out for mistakes. Photos say a thousand words and they are priceless when it comes to defending your suspicions.

It's great that you've only experienced a scratched French door. I just wish homebuilders would be much more quality-conscious then they advertised. I just can't believe buyers accept shoddy workmanship. IMO, if I was a homebuilder construction mgr, inspector or what have you, I would be demanding quality to the fullest. I guess that's just the way I am. This is a very expensive purchase for a person and the builder should put quality in the forefront. Given the contractors may not be the best fish in the pond, it's up to the supervisor to be sure that they do quality work.

I would love to see some photos of your home in progress. It's pretty exciting, isn't it?
Old 12-02-2005, 07:40 PM   #14
Commercial Roofing

Question about roof

Beleive it or not, in new home construction, the builders almost always use the lowest priced subs. You get what they pay for.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:56 AM   #15
renovations

Rewards Points: 250

Question about roof

"...a broken truss. The wood was splitting at the bottom and top of one of the 2x4. We told the builder about it and they just attached a brace at the bottom to reinforce the truss."

This might be acceptable behaviour with a cracked rafter, but is NOT with a truss. If any member of a truss is damaged the integrity is lost, the engineer MIGHT say that to sister up will be fine and then stamp the change, but he might not, too.
I had a carport job with thirty-six foot trusses that the electrician drilled the bottom chord (2x10) and the engineer freaked. Made him sister up BOTH sides of every truss after pulling all the wire out. Trusses are a system, you can't change one piece without altering it's characteristics.

Advertisement

Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote