DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

question about replacing a shingle roof w tin

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  roofboy 
#1 ·
I have an older home that i am planning on replacing the existing ashfalt shingles w a double M tin roof.
The roof is a 2 / 12 pitch. The question i have is can i just go over the ashfault shingles or do i have to strip the roof,
put ice and water shield and 15lb felt on the 1x boards.
And would there be any benifet from puting I&W shield and felt on the existing shingles if i dont have to strip the shingles off.
Any advice would be helpful :huh:

#2 ·
Hello,

There should be no problem going over the shingled roof but you will need a slip sheet between the metal and the shingles. The granuals will scratch the paint on the back of the panels and they will rust from the inside out.
Personally I would rip the old roof off.

Keith

#3 ·
Thanks for the input Roofboy, now for the slipsheet u are talking about .. 15lb felt roll the same thing u are talking about?
And would there be any benefit from putting a starter row of ice and water shield down on the shingle under the tin?
I would prefer to leave the shingles up there due to the time consumption of ripping it off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.