Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Question about removing old rake/eaves...

Good afternoon!

My question comes from Bristol county in Massachusetts.

I am working on re-siding my house. I had a professional do the break-work. I am using a vinyl siding product from a Big-Box store (Home Depot) that I will be installing.

I'm mostly concerned that the removal and replacement be up to code.

My question is regarding the removal of the eave that is leftover from when an addition was added to the house. I was hoping to remove the rake board that runs on the sides, and also the eave. My thought was to remove the soffit, remove the rake boards, and then cut the rafters flush with the sheathing. Then, fill in any gaps in the sheathing so that the whole wall is on one plane. From there I would Tyvek, and continue running the vinyl siding.

Does this seem like a good idea? I thought it would be good to do this for a few reasons.

1. The small bit of shingles that run on top of the rake board along the side of the house does not appear to be flashed correctly. It seems like it is a water issue waiting to happen.

2. I thought it would make the whole siding job easier and also look cleaner. My corner posts can all be done together, without trying to tie it in with the eaves and soffit.

Also, there is a bathroom vent located in the soffit but I should be able to re-route that through the new sheathing.

If any other pictures would help, let me know.

Thanks!
Attached Images

uroda33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Question about removing old rake/eaves...

I popped open the soffit and got a better look. The rafters run up to the bottom plate and are cut at the end of the wall. Doesn't seem structurally important. I will continue to remove the eave.

I'm new to this forum. Should I delete this post since I have arrived at an answer or leave it for future eave-destroyers?
Attached Thumbnails
Question about removing old rake/eaves...-eave.jpg  

uroda33 is offline   Reply With Quote